1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #11  
Hit something and bent the crankshaft. Replaced it. Hit something again and bent the new one. They're not made right.
:D LOL!!!

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #12  
Is it a question of honesty or deep meditational thought..... I hit something with it and I broke it. I hit something with it again, and I broke it again. The question:

Is it????

#1. The machine is not made right.
#2. Operator error.

Answer: Usually number 2. If you have a teenage daughter, it's always #1. :)

-Fordlords-

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor.
DmansPadge said:
Although it's old... if it's in good condition I'm sure it's worth more than $70! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lbrown... what kind of engine is on it?

WISCONSIN 8.25 HP
I bought the tractor june of 2005.

Have used it to back into the dirt pile and till up a bunch of fine dirt for doing a lot of landscapeing .

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #14  
RalphVa said:
I wouldn't buy anything Bolens. Once had one of their lawn mowers. Hit something and bent the crankshaft. Replaced it. Hit something again and bent the new one. They're not made right.

Ralph
I bet he is talking about the new tractors that are labeled Bolens. Not the same tractor by any means as most of you that have posted here knows. Same as the push mowers. These are low end MTD units. There are many Bolens forums that you may get a better idea of the value of the tractor from. I don't think the value would be alot unless you are a collector.

Molerj said:
I bet he is talking about the new tractors that are labeled Bolens. Not the same tractor by any means as most of you that have posted here knows. Same as the push mowers. These are low end MTD units. There are many Bolens forums that you may get a better idea of the value of the tractor from. I don't think the value would be alot unless you are a collector.
He has to be talking about the junk Bolens made by MTD not the Good ones built by FMC.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #16  
LBrown59 said:
He has to be talking about the junk Bolens made by MTD not the Good ones built by FMC.

What's wrong with MTD products??? They make Cub Cadet. ;)

AndyM said:
What's wrong with MTD products??? They make Cub Cadet. ;)
Correct.
But they can't make a Bolens Compared to the ones FMC made .
Put a MTD and A FMC Bolens side by side and compare them and you'll see real quick what I mean.

There are other Bolens Tractors out there that were built by still another manufacturer that being Troy Built prior to them being taken over by MTD.

Folks there may be only one Bolens label but there are at least 3 different Compaines who built those particular tractors.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #18  
LBrown59 said:
Correct.
But they can't make a Bolens Compared to the ones FMC made .
Put a MTD and A FMC Bolens side by side and compare them and you'll see real quick what I mean.

There are other Bolens Tractors out there that were built by still another manufacturer that being Troy Built prior to them being taken over by MTD.
Each company that owned the Bolens name at the time had a different strategy on what type of tractor would be marketed.
This type of change in direction is not unusual when companies change hands.

LBrown59 said:
Folks there may be only one Bolens label but there are at least 3 different Compaines who built those particular tractors.
Like the Jeep name that has been built by Willys, Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler, and others.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #19  
Detroit Diesel used to be owned by GM. Then Roger Penske. Now Daimler Chrysler Powersystems. It went from a Chevy to a Dodge LOL!

White Freightliner Trucks. Then White. Then White GMC. Then Volvo-White. Now just Volvo, and Freightliner is a Daimler Chrysler truck. Figure all that out! A truck one made under one roof in Cleveland now both a Volvo and a Dodge LOL!

Ford heavy trucks, bought out by Sterling, a division of Daimler Chrysler. From Ford to a Dodge LOL!

Just a little fun with names :)

-Fordlords-

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #20  
The flywheel is keyed to the crank with a lead keyway. When you hit something solid it should cut the keyway saving the crank. How did you tell it was bent?