1968 Massey Ferguson 165 Injectors

/ 1968 Massey Ferguson 165 Injectors #1  

chris_m_4

I have a MF 165 that I am redoing. It has sat in a pasture for about 2yrs when I got it. After a little bit of work I got it running. It has the perkins diesel engine; it smokes pretty good on startup but after running for about 10 mins it clears up some. It is a white colored smoke. I was told that I could replace the injectors or just the spray tips to clear up the smoke some more. Which is the best route to go? Does anyone know where is the cheapest place to order from or do they have complete rebuild kits for that. Thanks for any help.

/ 1968 Massey Ferguson 165 Injectors #2  
are u sure its injector related. white / grey smoke is usually oil related . check injector pump timing also . diesel shop should be able to pressure and leak test ur injectors.

/ 1968 Massey Ferguson 165 Injectors #3  
i would check the engine compression first. white smoke is not oil related. white smoke is unburned diesel. goes hand in hand with a hard to start problem especially in cooler temps. coolant will also produce white smoke,but has a distinct odor and looks different. it may very well need injector work, but if compression is low injectors won't cure your problem. in the case of low compression, the reason it seems to clear up to some extent is because the engine heats up therefore helping with combustion. good luck.