1970 JD 1020 Gas

/ 1970 JD 1020 Gas #1  

bikerzing

Tractor
1970 John Deere 1020
Hi all, it was raining tonight so I though I would spend a little time with "Deloris". She has a fuel gauge that has always read full since I bought her this last fall. I was able to get the gauge to modulate when I unplugged the signal side of the gauge. So that tells me it works and I am getting power to the gauge. Next, I questioned my ground connections. It was previously attached to one of the bolts holding the side panel on. I moved the ground connection directly to the negative post of the battery to ensure a good connection. It still reads full. What's next? The sending unit in the fuel tank? I have read where people report of a float that can come disconnected. Is that how the sending unit works? I appreciate your troubleshooting tips. FYI, I have a technical manual, however it only shows a two-wire connection but mine must have been replaced prior to my purchasing it as it now has four; ground, signal, ignition, and a mystery wire (My guess is a secondary ground).

/ 1970 JD 1020 Gas #2  

Attachments

• 1020_fuel_sender.jpg
    1020_fuel_sender.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 189
   / 1970 JD 1020 Gas
Is the sending unit removable? I took a look at it last night and the I can see where the wire connects via screw and a terminal on the end of the wire however, I don't see where you can remove the sending unit itself (with the float and everything). Anyone done this before?

/ 1970 JD 1020 Gas #4  
Do you see the parts #'s 6, 7, 8, and 9 in the attached pic on your tank?

/ 1970 JD 1020 Gas #5  
yes its a removable , it can be replaced and after you do it a couple times you will just get a stick and put it on the tractor and measure fuel levels manually

/ 1970 JD 1020 Gas
I have been doing that up until now. I kind of think that the fuel gauge isn't original and the previous owner didn't replace both the sending unit and the gauge together and now they are not a matching pair. I think the sending unit is original but the gauge is not, possible after market. Does anyone have a photo of an original 1020 gauge?

/ 1970 JD 1020 Gas #7  
tractordata has a picture in the 1020 photo tab.

Changing the sender is easy remove the four screws and gasket and pull out carefully. Do the reverse to install.
Just make sure the fuel level is below the sending unit.