1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe #1  

Joe1L

1970\'s John Deere 510 Backhoe

Hi, I"m new to backhoes but my brother and I are looking to buy one for some work around our houses. Well We are looking at a late 70's model Deere 510. The machine looks to be in nice condition. Started right up in 20 degree weather (we got to the machine before the owner knew we were coming)It purred perfectly. He demonstrated the machine by ripping out a stump with ease, and continued to dig a small trench all with ease. It did not have any leaks except one tiny one that looked to be on the cylinder on the boom. He also told me about a bolt that keeps getting loose at the tope of the boom. The only other problem I saw was tiny leak from the water pump that went away once the machine warmed up. Is there anything else I should look at when purchasing one of these things?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thanks
Joe

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe #2  
Re: 1970\'s John Deere 510 Backhoe

Check the pins & bushings for wear. Make sure the oils don't have water in them. Put a voltmeter across the battery to see if it's charging. Look closely at the loader and boom arms for welds & cracks especially the BH boom. A hydraulic shop can weld cracks & repair the leaky cylinder for $100-200. Pulling a stump & the machine did not split in 2 is a good sign. If nothing looks scary drive it home.

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Check the pins & bushings for wear. Make sure the oils don't have water in them. Put a voltmeter across the battery to see if it's charging. Look closely at the loader and boom arms for welds & cracks especially the BH boom. A hydraulic shop can weld cracks & repair the leaky cylinder for $100-200. Pulling a stump & the machine did not split in 2 is a good sign. If nothing looks scary drive it home. )</font>
)</font> Well I noticed one pin that looked a little worn that was on the bucket, how much does something like that cost to fix?? I think i may get it.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe #4  

The loose bolt in the top of the boom I assume is to hold the pin in, NOT a field repair substituting for the lost pin!

You have several options.

First option is do nothing: if the joint looks to have plenty of meat left there is no safety problem. A loose bucket will wobble not giving a smooth scoop or back drag. Noticeable when fine landscaping. Use it for awhile & if it's irritating then fix it. Not recommended self repair as 1 time tooling expense is high (price out a 1 1/2 inch reamer, drill, large torch set, etc.) The shops also have overhead beams & chain winches to take the tool weight safely.

Option 1 Take it to a local blacksmiths shop to make a larger pin to fit. I'd be surprised if it costs more than $20.

Option 2 is ream out the bushing & install oversize pin. Local hydraulic shop does this all the time. $50-100 guess. They can look at the cylinders at the same time.

Option 3 Dealer repair: Cat/Deere/Ziegler; re-bush & pin with safety inspection: $3-500 and 2 weeks minimum. They make house calls, pick up & delivery. If you haul, you may have to show their mechanics how to move a gear machine (but once they see how it works & the gear pattern in the casting, they'll cuss the hydrostats with peel & stick labels missing) Be prepared to add a zero on the check re: safety inspection above! While writing large check you'll be offered really good coffee & see the newest machinery. If you go around back you'll see the semi permanently parked MATCO or Snap-ON truck & pick up a new catalog. On the way out remember semi's hauling & railcar loading have the right of way! Just before the exit gate look over at the Admin offices & see the owners new MBZ S600. V12 500HP & 600 ft lbs torque. Oh yeah! No problem getting to work on time!

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks for the great information, that sounds like exactly what I'm going to do. Is there anything else major I should look out for when owning these things??
I appreciate all the helpfull responses!!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Joe

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe #6  

" Is there anything else major I should look out for when owning these things??"

Gas, phone and electric lines /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe #7  

don't worry about those fiber optic lines, those are cheap to fix!

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe #8  

When your done working hide it in the barn quick!

If friends neighbors & relatives see it, they will draft you for their to do list...

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 1970's John Deere 510 Backhoe #9  

If there is a loader on the tractor, it wouldn't hurt to raise the front end of the tractor off the ground and check for play in the front axle pivot pin and bushings. While it is up in the air, check the front spindles and tie rod ends for excess play. If possible, park the machine on a clean spot and come back the next day, move it and check for oil spots on the ground. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If there is a loader on the tractor, it wouldn't hurt to raise the front end of the tractor off the ground and check for play in the front axle pivot pin and bushings. While it is up in the air, check the front spindles and tie rod ends for excess play. If possible, park the machine on a clean spot and come back the next day, move it and check for oil spots on the ground. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

I don't see any leaks on the ground but i will have to check the axle pivot pin and bushings. I'll keep everyone posted when i get it on saturday. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif