1973 Ford 4000 w/201 Diesel Engine ... started having issues today

/ 1973 Ford 4000 w/201 Diesel Engine ... started having issues today #11  
can't help you with that ? on them newer machines.

rickb, whodat or ultradog probably can.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 w/201 Diesel Engine ... started having issues today #12  
If you are ending up with fuel diluting your oil you could have a rod bearing or crank bearing self destructing from lack of lubrication. If it were me, I'd want to drop the pan before trying to pull pistons out.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 w/201 Diesel Engine ... started having issues today #13  
So cracked the lines today and they all respond the same way so it doesn't look like fuel to me

Changed the oil and oil didn't have anything In it a magnet could pick up, it seems like it may have some fuel in it

Pulled the cowling off an degreased engine all looks good, but then I noticed oil forming on the exhaust pipe

So my guess at this point is I have a ring issue at minim and have oil slipping out and fuel slipping in but still doesn't explain clank so I think I am looking at pistons can this be done without pulling the engine it appears I can pull pan but is there enough clearance once pan is out to get the prisons in and out without pulling the crank shaft

Oil in the exhaust could be wet stacking from idlng for long periods of time and is probably occuring from your checking out the problem. It's a black unburned fuel residue and is commom cause is running for prolonged time periods at idle and near idle conditions and never getting the engine really warmed up. It clears up from working the tractor. Any sign of fuel in the engine lube oil?
Are you seeing any excessive blow by from the crankcase vent? If there is then it could be a cracked piston, broken ring, etc but that won't explain the clanking you are hearing unless the piston is really broken up. I think they are aluminum alloy(non-magnetic) so if you found non-ferrous metal in the lube oul that could be it.
I think you'll find you'll have to pull the head and the pan to get the pistons out to replace rod bearing. if the mains are bad, you'll have to remove the crank.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 w/201 Diesel Engine ... started having issues today
I know its been a while since the update but I have made progress.

Today I pulled the front end off, dropped the pan, from the bottom it looked good there was some metal wear in the pan, silvery gunk in bottom, but no parts in the pan, rods looked in place, but I had water dripping around cylinder 1 around the ring.

Pulled the Head and found lots of water, water in the intake, water standing on all the pistons, Piston #2 had something in it, I am guessing either a piston ring or maybe the valve seat see the attached image. The piston walls all look pretty clean so now the whats next?

I would like to just buy a rebuilt engine but I dont have the funds for that, I would rather not pull the engine and have it rebuilt unless the consensus is thats what needs to be done.

I am thinking replace at least #2 piston and have the head rebuilt. I guess I could do everything but the mains as they require pulling the engine and like a said I would rather not.. thoughts?

So its been a while but I thought I would share what I found today

pulled the pan, water coming from piston 1, small drip, but everything else looked ok, there was some wear sign in the pan, silvery gunk.

Pulled the head, and found water on all the pistons and in the intake manifold, when I got the head off I found that something had been in piston2, see attached. the bores all look good, and there was water on all the pistons.

I think a bare minimum I need to replace #2, if not all 3, and have the head rebuilt. I would rather not do the mains unless the consensus is thats what should be done. I can't figure out what was on piston 2 though, valve seat? or Piston ring?

image.jpeg

/ 1973 Ford 4000 w/201 Diesel Engine ... started having issues today #16  
pull 2 for sure..you may see lands gone.

Wanted to thank everyone left the bottom intact had the head redone and new injectors and she's great now