1974 John Deere 310-D Problem

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem #1  

kidroc2133

Tractor
John Deere 310D
I have a 74 JD 310-D. It sat for about 5 years before I purchased it. All things I have done so far is drain the diesel out of the tank, the lines and the injector pump also changed out the injectors and put in a new fuel/water filter. Injector pump screen was pulled and cleaned (wasn't that dirty) also cleaned the little glass ball fitting on the return line coming from the top of the injector pump (wasn't dirty either) no little black pieces came out of the injector when I drained it from the little window that I could tell. I will not start unless I use some ether in it and I have to get enough ether in it to get it to a high enough rpm for it to actually stay running. When it does run its at a high rpm not a normal idle even after running for 5 mins or longer rpm never drops to idle speed. The accelerator pedal does rev it higher. It does run on its own when I get it to that point. Only thing now is when I try to put it in gear and move it, it will stall out. Motor was rebuilt before it sat. Guy told me that maybe 300 hours on the rebuild. Hydraulics work when its running. He did say that the injector pump worked it self loose a few times. So, could the timing be off on the injector pump that its causing the hard start / high rpm after starting?

Any knowledge you guys may have on something else I might be missing or does it sound like a timing issue?
Thanks.

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem #2  
I have a 74 JD 310-D. It sat for about 5 years before I purchased it. All things I have done so far is drain the diesel out of the tank, the lines and the injector pump also changed out the injectors and put in a new fuel/water filter. Injector pump screen was pulled and cleaned (wasn't that dirty) also cleaned the little glass ball fitting on the return line coming from the top of the injector pump (wasn't dirty either) no little black pieces came out of the injector when I drained it from the little window that I could tell. I will not start unless I use some ether in it and I have to get enough ether in it to get it to a high enough rpm for it to actually stay running. When it does run its at a high rpm not a normal idle even after running for 5 mins or longer rpm never drops to idle speed. The accelerator pedal does rev it higher. It does run on its own when I get it to that point. Only thing now is when I try to put it in gear and move it, it will stall out. Motor was rebuilt before it sat. Guy told me that maybe 300 hours on the rebuild. Hydraulics work when its running. He did say that the injector pump worked it self loose a few times. So, could the timing be off on the injector pump that its causing the hard start / high rpm after starting?

Any knowledge you guys may have on something else I might be missing or does it sound like a timing issue?
Thanks.

Everything you have written would point me straight at the injector pump. In fact I wonder if it could be both the timing and injector stroke are off.
If it has come loose a few times I'd consider taking it to someone knowledgeable on these pumps. Clearly someone has done something wrong; pumps don't just "work themselves loose" for no reason.

There used to be an injector/pump rebuilder in every little Ag town. Maybe some are still out there.
There's also pump guy who posts on TBN.... not sure of his handle, but "pumpguy" might get you started on a search. Or maybe someone will chime in who knows him. The pumpguy seems like a helpful member, so that's the first place I would go for advice.
rScotty

rScotty

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem #3  
rScotty
You got him.. thepumpguysc is his forum name. Knows what he is talking about, and maybe kidroc could send a PM to him and get some good helpful info in return.

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem #4  
rScotty
You got him.. thepumpguysc is his forum name. Knows what he is talking about, and maybe kidroc could send a PM to him and get some good helpful info in return.

Or send his pump to him to inspect/repair

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem #5  
Or send his pump to him to inspect/repair

That is what I would do!
Send thepumpguysc the pump!
He has been VERY helpful to those of us here on TBN!

Last edited:
   / 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem
Pump seems to be fine. I get fuel going in and fuel going to the injectors and fuel through the return line. I had the tractor towed home so I didnt have to drive 30 mins to work on it. I ended up setting timing on it with #1 at TDC and the injector pump timing marks lined up perfect. Still will not start. Should I open up the pump to see if the metering valve is stuck or clogged up? Don't know if that can be a problem if I'm getting fuel every where. A small shot of ether will make it run for a few seconds but thats about it.

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem #8  
My guess is metering valve in inj pump pump is stuck. Can you hear electric fuel control solenoid click when ign switch is in run position?

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem
Yes I can hear it clicking just fine. I will try looking into the metering valve and see what I find there.

/ 1974 John Deere 310-D Problem #10  
If I was attempting to start that engine I would fill the fuel filter with a mix of 10-20% fuel conditioner & remainder of auto trans fluid. Then bleed fuel inj pump until filled with this combination of fuel conditioner & oil. Are you utilizing factory style starting fluid device or spraying directly into air cleaner housing or intake? It's easy to break these JD engines top rings by starting fluid use abuse. Way back when I drove a 18 wheeler truck when I changed fuel filters I filled them with auto trans fluid & engine started easily ever time.