1974 Troybilt Horse gear box lube

/ 1974 Troybilt Horse gear box lube #1  

kubota4me

Silver Member
Tractor
An orange one
I have been reading about the gear lube required for this tiller and I have been getting conflicting information from different sources. I read where GL1 140 wt is the definitive lube to put in the gearbox. Another source of information informed me that GL4 140 wt is considered "yellow metal safe." Is GL4 140 wt truly "yellow metal safe?"

I am having a hard time finding GL1 and having it shipped in without the freight breaking the bank. I don't want to ruin my precious tiller as I consider this thing a keeper I will have for the rest of my life.

Advice welcomed. Thanks in advance!

/ 1974 Troybilt Horse gear box lube #2  
Why GL-1 is hard to find.

API GL-5: Clearing up the Confusion - Automotive Gear Oil Additives - Driveline Additives - The Lubrizol Corporation

API Categories GL-1, GL-2, GL-3 and GL-6 were declared inactive by SAE Technical Committee 3 in 1995, even though oils may be marketed with these designations. Similarly, ASTM does not plan to maintain the performance tests associated with these categories, as in a number of cases these tests can no longer be run because parts or test installations are not available.

======================
GL-5 often has sulpher compounds added for EP service, but not always. You may have to get the specs of the oil and check the corrosion test results.

Gear Oil Questions Answered

"Q: I heard that EP additives are corrosive to yellow metals such as brass and bronze. Is this true?

A: In some circumstances, this can by true. Certain types of EP additives are designed to react with metal surfaces under elevated temperatures to protect them under boundary lubrication conditions. These types of additives are often referred to as “chemically active”, and at elevated temperatures (greater than 140 to 150 F), they can indeed start to react with yellow metals. For this reason, apply caution when selecting gear oils for worm drives; the ring gear is often a yellow metal alloy.

A good way to check to see if an oil is “chemically active” is to look at the specification sheet provided by the lubricant manufacturer. On the sheet, you will typically see a test referred to as “copper strip corrosion” (ASTM D130). This tests how chemically reactive an oil is to copper and copper-containing alloys. For gear oils, a 1a rating is typically a good indicator that the oil is chemically inert, while higher ratings (such as 1b or 2a) might indicate possible problems when used in certain gearing at elevated operating temperatures. Often, a lubricant manufacturer will specifically state “this oil should not be used in gearboxes containing yellow metals”; other times, the manufacturer will simply state that the oil is appropriate for “steel-on-steel” applications – the implication being that they should not be used in situations where the ring gear is brass or bronze."

Bruce

/ 1974 Troybilt Horse gear box lube #3  
Look for an mt1 rating or notice of yellow metal safe.

/ 1974 Troybilt Horse gear box lube #4  
I would perhaps use GL-1 90 or Case IH Hy-Tran if it is impossible to find GL-1 140 if I am not using it for long periods in hot days. Or see if Troy-Bilt sells the gear lube.

/ 1974 Troybilt Horse gear box lube #5  
I have a 1982 8 Hp Horse model Troy built. Straight out of the 216 page owners manual - the recommendation is 140 wt gear oil. Which, they say, was put in the unit when it was shipped. The manual recommends 90 wt gear oil if you will be using the tiller below 32 deg F.

I guess I'm kind of a pack rat because I still have the 216 page owners manual and the Supplement to the Horse Model Tiller Owners Manual.

No where in either manual is there any mention of GL1 or GL4 gear oil. It does mention to NOT use automatic transmission fluid or motor oils.

/ 1974 Troybilt Horse gear box lube #6  
what rating is listed after the 140?