Comparison 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030

/ 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #11  
I don’t think for one single second the Deere has 1400 hours on it. It is +/- 46 years old. If it were used 30 hours per year why repaint?

Agreed.

That's why I said "Trader Fresh".

/ 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #12  
I don稚 think for one single second the Deere has 1400 hours on it. It is +/- 46 years old. If it were used 30 hours per year why repaint?

You can think whatever you want. Doesn't necessarily mean a lick that it possesses actuality. Neither does mine. That is why we delve into matters.

To answer your questions. 1. Because of weathering for one. 2. Because it was worthy for a repaint for another because of its limited use. 3. How old it is, has little to do of how much it was used. Look at the hr numbers. The "1" is yellowed as if it's been sitting there awhile. I'd be more suspicious if that number looked fresh.

Its like finding that 1967 Mustang in a barn with 34,000 miles on it. It needed paint. The "why" of that is obvious. Perhaps this was found in a barn as well.

Before I shot something down with my own personal conjecture, I would want some back up to either refute or confirm a thought process. People buy things and then get sick or die. They might sell a home or farm and have little use for what they owned. There might be a divorce. There are a myriad of scenarios that lend to a situation. There could be a record of ownership if needed.
I do suppose it's easier to be simply doubtful however.

Last edited:
   / 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #13  
I think the John Deere hour clock is on its second rotation around . we had a 3130 that did the same

/ 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #14  
And likely to have had the tach/hour meter replaced.
The Ford has two remotes, Dual Power, telescoping draft links and a crappy cab which could be replaced with fenders and maybe a ROPS and canopy for greater comfort. Without knowing any more about condition than what I can see I would pick the Ford. The cab is not desirable however.

HP would be very close. 15.5x38 tires on power adjust rims would be great for haying. A close inspection of both could tip the scale either way. The Ford is not likely to sit there long if it is sound.
I owned a 2030 once but it had a gas engine. I hated it but a diesel is far more desirable.

You can think whatever you want. Doesn't necessarily mean a lick that it possesses actuality. Neither does mine. That is why we delve into matters.

To answer your questions. 1. Because of weathering for one. 2. Because it was worthy for a repaint for another because of its limited use. 3. How old it is, has little to do of how much it was used. Look at the hr numbers. The "1" is yellowed as if it's been sitting there awhile. I'd be more suspicious if that number looked fresh.

Its like finding that 1967 Mustang in a barn with 34,000 miles on it. It needed paint. The "why" of that is obvious. Perhaps this was found in a barn as well.

Before I shot something down with my own personal conjecture, I would want some back up to either refute or confirm a thought process. People buy things and then get sick or die. They might sell a home or farm and have little use for what they owned. There might be a divorce. There are a myriad of scenarios that lend to a situation. There could be a record of ownership if needed.

Before you start lording all over me go read post #3. And consider that the OP asked for our thoughts.
I’ve been buying and selling tractors and equipment off and on for many decades. Nothing replaces having hands and eyes on anything used. And a healthy dose of doubt and skepticism has served me very well. I’m not about to go look in person so I commented on what the photos show me. And I still highly doubt the hours are anywhere near correct. I also suspect the Deere is a European or Canadian spec tractor, but that is not certain by any means.

/ 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #15  

And your philosophy that it's a barn find 67 Mustang with 34K miles is also conjecture. And then,,,, if I found one,,,, I certainly wouldn't give it a $50 paint job.

Which do you think has more chance of being true? A barn find or "Trader Fresh"???

Think before you answer...… :D

/ 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #16  
Before you start lording all over me go read post #3. And consider that the OP asked for our thoughts.
I’ve been buying and selling tractors and equipment off and on for many decades. Nothing replaces having hands and eyes on anything used. And a healthy dose of doubt and skepticism has served me very well. I’m not about to go look in person so I commented on what the photos show me. And I still highly doubt the hours are anywhere near correct. I also suspect the Deere is a European or Canadian spec tractor, but that is not certain by any means.

Wasn't lording over anybody so get off that horse. I put both myself and you in the same "opinion folder". You have "healthy skepticism" that has served you well. What if your skepticism is not serving this person well? You came right out that this tractor was a falsehood with its hrs because of "skepticism". That is your opinion based on whatever. You cannot sit there and be positive that you are correct. Neither can I. I gave examples of possibilities that this tractor is legit. That is all.

Last edited:
   / 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #17  
And your philosophy that it's a barn find 67 Mustang with 34K miles is also conjecture. And then,,,, if I found one,,,, I certainly wouldn't give it a $50 paint job.

Which do you think has more chance of being true? A barn find or "Trader Fresh"???

Think before you answer...… :D

Mine is not conjecture. I actually found a 1967 Shelby Mustang in 2001 within a barn in New Hampshire. It had a Paxton supercharger in it which was an option from Shelby at the time. This person was a friend of an uncle of mine there. The person was deceased and only the wife and a son survived him. My uncle told of this "Chevby car" for sale over his old friends house. I didn't know what he was sayin the car was so I said, "let's take a ride" since it was close by. You can imagine my surprise when this "Chevby" turned out to a "Shelby". I offered to buy the Mustang on the spot. The woman was in her 80's and she became reticent to part with the car as it was a memory of her husband. I told her no problem that if she sold it to me, she could keep it until her dying day.
She said she would think about it. In the weeks she was thinking about it, the son took it out to get new tires. In testing the "grippiness" of the new tires, he proceeded to wrap this car around a telephone pole. Because the car was simply insured as a 67 Mustang, it was deemed a total loss. If you ever come across a Brittany blue 67 Shelby Mustang that was nearly folded in half with a Paxton supercharger, it could be this one. More than likely it became a big ,metal square probably recycled into a 2004 Caprice.

I cannot make a judgement on "probabilities". I just know amazing stuff can happen. This tractor may or may not be an amazing find. No one here can say for certainty enough to bet your house on. The dash, shift knobs, seat could have all been replaced to help the tractor "look" like new or...they were never touched and the tractor is like new. A tractor with over 11,000 hrs on it should have "telltales" no? Things will be "worn" no matter if it were covered with paint.

Not let me ask a question or two. This tractor looks real fine on the outside. Would someone go to the trouble of putting in what looks to be a lot of work in replacement parts as well just to sell it? Or would they be more apt to simply dump it after a spray job and not care about the "intricacies" of a more detailed restoration that includes a seat, dash, knobs, foot pedals ,etc.??
I am doing no different (except an opposite opinion) of leaning toward the JD. I stand by my advice that the op should go over this tractor with some common sense and if he needs to call in someone to help him, he should do so. Due diligence is all I'm advising here.

Last edited:
   / 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #18  
I am doing no different (except an opposite opinion) of leaning toward the JD. I stand by my advice that the op should go over this tractor with some common sense and if he needs to call in someone to help him, he should do so. Due diligence is all I'm advising here.

Too bad you didn’t skip all the drama and just say that. Which is a lot like what I said as well, except favoring the Ford and calling out features and shortcomings to substantiate my OPINION. Nobody is suggesting the OP should buy either sight unseen.

/ 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #19  
Too bad you didn’t skip all the drama and just say that. Which is a lot like what I said as well, except favoring the Ford and calling out features and shortcomings to substantiate my OPINION. Nobody is suggesting the OP should buy either sight unseen.

"Drama"? You didn't like my story about the Shelby?

Are we helping the op yet?

Last edited:
   / 1975 Ford 5000 vs JD 2030 #20  
Ask the dealer for the name of the previous owner. A reputable dealer would be happy to supply you with that info. You can then ask the previous owner about the hours.