1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #21  
J_J
After I posted I started thinking and I need to clarify that my JD hyd knowledge pertains to JD tractors built from the mid 90's to the mid 40's which operate as I stated. So If newer JD models operate as you state then you have my apology.
Jim

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #22  
It would be best if other tractor owners would chime in here and state how their 3pt operate as to whether the lever will return to neutral after each operation.

What we want to know is if when you raise the 3pt and turn loose the handle, does it return to neutral or stay where you left the lever, and also, what do you do to cause the 3pt to float.

The fact is that some tractor owners have left the lever in the raised position, causing the relief to operate and causing back pressure and interfering with proper loader operations.

Now, as far as to which tractor does what, I have no clue, except on my tractor, the lever stays where I leave it.

Not talking about draft or position control, although it is related to.

Actually, I don't really care whether the lever springs back to neutral or stays where you leave it.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #23  
It would be best if other tractor owners would chime in here and state how their 3pt operate as to whether the lever will return to neutral after each operation.

What we want to know is if when you raise the 3pt and turn loose the handle, does it return to neutral or stay where you left the lever, and also, what do you do to cause the 3pt to float.

J_J
I suppose no other members choose to "chime in" as to exactly how the 3 pt operates on their JD tractor. If they don't know how it's intended to operate correctly then it's a mystery to me how they will determine if it's operating incorrectly?? PS: on all tractors I've operated the 3 pt control lever stays where it's put unless the friction holding washers have lost tension.
Thanks anyway,Jim

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #24  
J_J
I can't remember any 3 pt control valves not returning to neutral when 3 pt has raised but I've only been around JD,Ford & K ubota tractors. Can you name any brands you referred to that the 3 pt control valve doesn't return to neutral when set 3 pt travel is attained? Thanks,Jim

Then, what was this statement all about.

This was all about leaving the lever in the raised position and causing problems in the hyd system.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #25  
Then, what was this statement all about.

This was all about leaving the lever in the raised position and causing problems in the hyd system.

Your statement and I'll quote you:

Quote Originally Posted by J_J View Post
Some tractors have spring return to neutral, and others will stay in the raise position, therefore when the 3pt is fully extended, the gage will show relief pressure.

I know of no correct operating 3 pt's that the 3 pt control valve would cause a gauge to show pressure once the 3 pt is in raised position.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #26  
Do you have a pressure gage in your hyd system.

If so, raise the 3pt and hold it there and you can bet your tractor pink slip that there will be pressure and the valve will be relieving and if you tractor is friction lever, take you hand away from the lever and look at the gage and tell me what you read. Until you put the lever back to neutral, the pressure will be there, and if your gage is in the IN port of the loader valve, you should see the 3pt relief pressure.

And why are you seeing pressure, well, the pump is pumping fluid into the 3pt cyl and when the cyl is full extended, because the lever is still calling for flow, the flow has to be relieved.

As soon as you go to neutral, the flow is diverted to tank. If you move the lever to the down position, you are simply releasing the 3pt fluid through the the descent orifice to tank.

If I am wrong, then I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Any valve that you hold with relief pressure, will reflect back pressure through the total open center hyd circuit.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #27  
I think when 3 pt raises to set height the control valve immediately goes into neutral(without being manually put there by ones hand) and gauge will not reflect system pressure. All my tractors are cab equipped and installing a gauge on rockshaft control valve would be no easy task. If valve didn't go to neutral one could hear pressure going through relief valve until neutral was attained. If you choose to believe 3 pt control valve must be manually put in neutral by hand then so be it but I choose to believe otherwise at least on the models I've owned & repaired myself.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #28  
Do you have a pressure gage in your hyd system.

If so, raise the 3pt and hold it there and you can bet your tractor pink slip that there will be pressure and the valve will be relieving and if you tractor is friction lever, take you hand away from the lever and look at the gage and tell me what you read. Until you put the lever back to neutral, the pressure will be there, and if your gage is in the IN port of the loader valve, you should see the 3pt relief pressure.

And why are you seeing pressure, well, the pump is pumping fluid into the 3pt cyl and when the cyl is full extended, because the lever is still calling for flow, the flow has to be relieved.

As soon as you go to neutral, the flow is diverted to tank. If you move the lever to the down position, you are simply releasing the 3pt fluid through the the descent orifice to tank.

If I am wrong, then I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Any valve that you hold with relief pressure, will reflect back pressure through the total open center hyd circuit.

Half right and half wrong. There is a feed back linkage that puts it in neutral for you if adjusted right. Your 9200 has one, it hooks to one of the 3pt lift arms, most are on the right side arm.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #29  
Leejohn
Actually J_J and my discussion originally was started over his statement about JD tractors. With my owning a Kubota tractor(M7040) I'm aware of the feedback linkage and it's importance on an orange tractor as well as on some other brands including some JD models.

I also would like to state that my discussion with J_J is in no way trying to dis-credit him or his hyd knowledge. I've read enough of his post to know he is "THE GO TO MAN" when it comes to hydraulics.

Last edited:
   / 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #30  
J_J
Correct me if I wrong but if relief pressure is noted on gauge when 3 pt is fully raised won't that indicate that 3 pt control valve is not going into neutral or did you mean "while raising)?
Thanks,Jim

What I said is most correct. When you hold the lever up, you will see relief pressure on the gage. While raising the lever you will see the pressure caused by the load on the lift arms.

Do you not check 3pt relief pressure by raising the lever to the fully extend position and when the relief valve goes off or not, the pressure read is the pressure that the relief is set at.

If the 3pt lever goes back to neutral, what is the purpose of the friction adjustments on the lever.

What kind of spring action do you have with friction disk?

Excerpt from JD manual;

Rockshaft control levers drift? Levers too loose. Friction disks are loose.
Adjust rockshaft control lever friction.See procedures in rockshaft and 3-Point Hitch section or see your
John Deere dealer.