1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy?

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy?
from Machinerytrader index seems the opposite is true, with Cat backhoes having 10 times the volume of listings.

Where I live now we often have to dig through granite and other difficult rock materials, in Louisiana most of what you dig through is silt and clay. I grew up in south La.

So would you suggest looking at another hoe?

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #22  
If I can only save just one tire with that story........:D

You just never know what you are gonna find when you start diggin. That's part of the fun. My dog was especially pleased with the find. We had cow bones turning up in the yard regularly for a couple of months.

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #23  
It isn't that I think Ford is bad but I don't think it measures up equally to Cat, Deere and Case. A few years ago before I bought the 110tlb I looked into a new Terex 760B with extendahoe, cab and AC. At the time about 2003 the new Terex was selling for $47,000 brand new. I had several of my friends go with me to look the Terex over and while we all thought the price was good the rear axle housing looked weak. I waited another two years and kept looking at equipment and finally decided the 110tlb was a better fit for me.

One of my friends bought two of the 760B's and another friend has 2 Ford 555. Both of these guys have a multitude of backhoes and they both have more problems with the Terex and Ford hoes holding up. There is a good reason the pro's buy Cat, Case and Deere with their own money.

jenkinsph said:
One of my friends bought two of the 760B's and another friend has 2 Ford 555. Both of these guys have a multitude of backhoes and they both have more problems with the Terex and Ford hoes holding up. There is a good reason the pro's buy Cat, Case and Deere with their own money.

I do agree. If I was out looking at a new backhoe I would look at a Cat first. But the Cat 416s were just ugly. Looked like the mid 70s Cases. Wouldn't buy a Cat until the 416B and they are just to much. As for the Cases I hate the 4 stick controls. The Deeres are good but they are also expensive. You also said that you would look at a new Case before you looked at a new New Holland. I hope you know that New Holland and Case are designed made and manufactured by the same company, CNH Global.

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #25  
while I don't know much about backoe's, i do know this. when shopping used, if you aren't 100% SURE about what it is that you're looking for(ie. certain brand....for instance say you will ONLY buy a John Deere 310c and NOTHING else no matter what) be patient....VERY patient. you might like that 555 now, it may look good, the price may be in your budget, BUT i can almost promise you on everything i own, you WILL find something you like better down the road. you'll be kicking yourself wondering why you jumped on the first backhoe that "you could live with", when the one that has EVERYTHING you want(good tires too btw) at a price you could have afforded. take it from me, be patient when buying used.

right now I'm looking for an older tractor to use strictly for bush hogging. i don't want to spend over $11,000. i've passed on more tractors then i would like to admit. while the one's i passed on "looked good", had hours i could live with, would have probably done the job very well, none of them screamed to me "take me home, i'm the one you want!". there was always something i didn't like about the tractors i looked at. i WILL find me a good'n oneday though, i don't know what brand it'll be but i will know it's the one i want when it comes availible. Just keep looking, don't be in a rush, and you'll be happier in the long run.:thumbsup:

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #26  
This is an interesting answer about the population of backhoes in your locale.
Just look at the page from Machinery Trader for sale listings,

Caterpillar 1354 machines listed
Deere 1143 " "
Case 1010 " "
New Holland 224 " "
Ford 134 " "

Loader Backhoe, Used Loader Backhoe, Loader Backhoe For Sale At MachineryTrader.com - Manufacturers

from Machinerytrader index seems the opposite is true, with Cat backhoes having 10 times the volume of listings.

You can't make that conclusion because in order for the number of used units for sale to have value, you would also need to know the total number of each sold.

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #27  
............................What I've used it most for is plowing the driveway and the thing is so light it slips and slides all over the driveway. Went down a hill in my driveway thing slid right around backwards and I was going back up the hill. Also my neighbor has a smaller New Holland (smaller frame but same size motor) and his tractor goes through the snow better because of the weight distribution....................

Have you added any ballast to the 3120?

RollingFarms also had some good advice. It is worth waiting for one that feels just right and you KNOW that you want.

milkman636 said:
Have you added any ballast to the 3120?

I have a backboard on when I plow, dealer said the weight of it will make up for the ballast box.

while I don't know much about backoe's, i do know this. when shopping used, if you aren't 100% SURE about what it is that you're looking for(ie. certain brand....for instance say you will ONLY buy a John Deere 310c and NOTHING else no matter what) be patient....VERY patient. you might like that 555 now, it may look good, the price may be in your budget, BUT i can almost promise you on everything i own, you WILL find something you like better down the road. you'll be kicking yourself wondering why you jumped on the first backhoe that "you could live with", when the one that has EVERYTHING you want(good tires too btw) at a price you could have afforded. take it from me, be patient when buying used.

right now I'm looking for an older tractor to use strictly for bush hogging. i don't want to spend over $11,000. i've passed on more tractors then i would like to admit. while the one's i passed on "looked good", had hours i could live with, would have probably done the job very well, none of them screamed to me "take me home, i'm the one you want!". there was always something i didn't like about the tractors i looked at. i WILL find me a good'n oneday though, i don't know what brand it'll be but i will know it's the one i want when it comes availible. Just keep looking, don't be in a rush, and you'll be happier in the long run.:thumbsup:

Great advice, and I definitely have been shopping around. What I've been looking for mainly is a 4 wheel drive hoe with a cab (The cab isn't as important as actually having a cab but I feel better knowing if the previous owner had all the components covered and out of the weather), extend a hoe, and a 4 in 1 bucket. My orders are tall and this is one of the few that fulfilled it. I've been looking for a couple months now and it was for sale when I started looking, I have to admit there was some that came and went that were probably better, like a 1994 Cat 416B that had all that I wanted, but it came and went, I've always like the 555C though scrolling through the lists on Machinery Trader it has always caught my eye. Don't know what it is about it but it just looks like a good machine.

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #30  
I do agree. If I was out looking at a new backhoe I would look at a Cat first. But the Cat 416s were just ugly. Looked like the mid 70s Cases. Wouldn't buy a Cat until the 416B and they are just to much. As for the Cases I hate the 4 stick controls. The Deeres are good but they are also expensive. You also said that you would look at a new Case before you looked at a new New Holland. I hope you know that New Holland and Case are designed made and manufactured by the same company, CNH Global.

give you a little insite on a cat bachhoe it is a case motor and trans and a newholland rear end so how can they be much better than the others