1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up

/ 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up #1  

Lykins Farm

Tractor
1995 New Holland 5610S
I have a 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S. Its a hard starter in the winter. I was digging around and I have a glow plug / thermostart plug in the intake manifold. However, I do not have the system or fuel line going into the end of the thermostart to supply the fuel to the plug. My understand is it needs the fuel in order to create fire inside the intake manifold to warm it up to start easier in cold weather. The glow plug / thermostart on my tractor is functional and heats up when I hold the key just past the on position for 30-45 seconds. Am I missing anything or is this not how it works? The parts guy at the New Holland dealer didn't seem to know much about this but stated that the glow plug doesn't need a fuel line to it and it should just warm the intake manifold up and it should start even if cold. I can't seem to find the parts for the 5610S but can find something similar for the Ford 5610. I have attached a few photos. Please help!!!!

This photo is of the set up for a Ford 5010S
Ford 5610S Thermostart diagram 1.PNG

This phot is of a ford 5610 and supposedly not a 5610S
Ford 5610 Thermostart diagram.PNG

Last edited:
   / 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up #2  
Sounds like he逞エ not old enough to remember how the thermostart system works, yes it needs a fuel line, after the element reaches a preset
temp, it opens a valve allowing fuel to drip in causing the fire to start. If you look at your manifold, you should see a male terminal for the wire, and a fuel line fitting for a line to screw on, is this not what痴 there?

Item #13-1 is the unit

New Holland 561S - 4 CYL AG TRACTOR(12/93 - 12/4) Parts Diagrams

/ 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up
joecdeere, that is my thought as well is he isn't old enough to remember the system. He told me Ford got away from that because it didn't work, I bout fell over as I think the system works great. I am not sure if someone stripped my tractor of the part before I purchase it or it just never came with it. Thank you for posting that link. Here is a photo of my plug, you will see the wire is already hooked up to the male terminal on the plug and it works. Plug heats up after 30-45 seconds of holding my key past the ON position.

glow plug on intake manifold.jpg

/ 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up #4  
That half painted plastic cap beside the wire has the fuel line connector under it, looks like someone painted over it

My 345c cranks just fine no matter how cold it is using it

Right but it doesn't have the parts that connect to that on the tractor. Not sure if someone stripped them off before I purchased it or it ever had it installed to begin with.

From the link you shared, I can't tell where that line from the plug runs to the injector pump. Do you have any photos of that?

/ 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up #7  
i see rust and corrosion @ the heater connection, and also painted, cleanup all that @ wire end and female connector, there may be high resistance keeping
it from proper heatup.

I agree there is some rust and corrosion, however, the glow plug heats up perfect just as it should. No issues with the glow plug heating up at all, it just isn't finished in order to work properly as it doesn't have a fuel line going into the end of it.

/ 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up #9  
chk with dealer, maybe there was a cold start kit offered ur tractor never got when sold new.

/ 1995 Ford/New Holland 5610S Thermostart set up #10  
I don't know as always poorly drawn!, I would think you'd just "T" into the excess fuel return line like they've always done, the later ones even without the reservoir, my 345C only has a "T" that is up hill from the element to provide flow