1995 L5450 Rust Questions

/ 1995 L5450 Rust Questions #1  

nate1590

Tractor
Ford 340A
Hello,
I am considering buying this tractor. 1300 hours, engine runs fantastic. I have significant concerns about the amount of rust, specifically on the front axles. I assume this was used to load salt, as it is rot and not just surface rust. Everything appears to work as normal, fluids look OK, no major leaks.
How long should it take to go forward/backward when you change shuttle from N-F-N-R? It takes a second or 2 to engage and start moving. Clutch seems strong, will stall with brakes applied.

Wheel rust doesn't concern me as much since they can be easily replaced, but the axle and rops components do. $11k asking price on tractor.

Pictures below are left front, rear wheels, and left rear rops/axle

Attachments

• 20240406_152042.JPG
    20240406_152042.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • 20240406_152055.JPG
    20240406_152055.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20240406_152100.JPG
    20240406_152100.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 20240406_152107.JPG
    20240406_152107.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
   / 1995 L5450 Rust Questions #3  
Hello,
I am considering buying this tractor. 1300 hours, engine runs fantastic. I have significant concerns about the amount of rust, specifically on the front axles. I assume this was used to load salt, as it is rot and not just surface rust. Everything appears to work as normal, fluids look OK, no major leaks.
How long should it take to go forward/backward when you change shuttle from N-F-N-R? It takes a second or 2 to engage and start moving. Clutch seems strong, will stall with brakes applied.

Wheel rust doesn't concern me as much since they can be easily replaced, but the axle and rops components do. $11k asking price on tractor.

Pictures below are left front, rear wheels, and left rear rops/axle
What did you decide?

You know it has to have new rims and tires all around & can get those costs easily at the tire shop.
Rust on exterior cast iron surfaces won't hurt anything, though it sure is a pain to clean off and paint.

I think you are right to focus on the sealing surfaces - at least that is what I would do.
BTW, all along here I am figuring you are a good mechanic who has the experience, time, money, and tools to do work like pulling axles to do seals. Ifthat's not true, don't even consider that tractor - just run away

I know there are old worn out farm style loader tractors from that era with 4 times the hours for about that same price. Yes, they will need work, but they still work, too. That would be my preference.

/ 1995 L5450 Rust Questions #4  
I would pass, rust is hard to fix because it has a way of affecting everything. mechanical issues tend to be easier to fix because once you found the problem you replace the part and you are good to go unless it is generalized wear from a ton of hours.

/ 1995 L5450 Rust Questions
I decided to pass. I would be capable of fixing the rust myself, but I don't want to spend the time to do it right. The rust on the front hub was deeper than surface, it was rotted fairly deep. The other thing that scared me was the shuttle clutch. I could not find the parts online for the discs, and reading some forum posts from 2013-ish, parts were hard to find then. I'm disappointed, but went with my gut.