1997 425 manuals?

/ 1997 425 manuals? #1  

weeder

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 425 lawn tractor
Hi guys, I have a 1997 425 that my neighbor gave to me because they could not get it running. They have no books on this thing. Can a guy get a troubleshooting manual and a regular manual for this old of a mower? Thanks

/ 1997 425 manuals? #2  
Sure, you can order them from John Deere Publications. If you do a little Google searching you should be able to find John Deere Publications. There may be a place to download them but I doubt it ---- unless just the right person should show up. John Deere is pretty protective of their manuals.

I found all of mine on E-Bay. The Parts Manual and the Technical Manual are the most useful.

/ 1997 425 manuals?
Ok I will try E-bay and see what is on there.

/ 1997 425 manuals? #4  
Looking up parts and part numbers is free on jdparts.com for all John Deere products. Or at least most of them as I see it.

/ 1997 425 manuals?
Well found a couple of worn manuals on E-Bay man they are pricey. Found some to download but I don't know who to trust as far as getting manuals then I would have to print them out so I could have them handy in the garage. Guess I'll keep looking you guys were right John Deere doesn't want you to know anything or be able to fix it.

/ 1997 425 manuals? #6  
Guess I'll keep looking you guys were right John Deere doesn't want you to know anything or be able to fix it.

Don't know what gives you this impression.
But JD will sell the CD of the service tech manual. Cheaper than one visit to the dealer and paying for an hour of their service time. See them on eBay for around $75. Well worth it, IMO

/ 1997 425 manuals?
Well I didn't think they would be that high thought more around $40 but it is what it is.

/ 1997 425 manuals? #8  
Don't know what gives you this impression.
But JD will sell the CD of the service tech manual. Cheaper than one visit to the dealer and paying for an hour of their service time. See them on eBay for around $75. Well worth it, IMO

I don't understand JD's logic on not publishing manuals on the internet. I think that they are hurting themselves with this policy. Who would want to buy a John Deere and not want to be able to fix it once it is out of warranty?

I can't think of any reason for not publishing. I don't think that someone is going to sue JD because they down loaded a manual for their lawn tractor and they cut their hand while making some repair.

I can't see how selling manuals is a big money maker.

/ 1997 425 manuals? #9  
Maybe, just maybe JD is recovering the cost of putting manuals together for each individual model they make, design, and then develop. I'm happy that they are available at all... for some companies you don't get a good service manual. John Deere puts out a good one.
Sorry you don't get it. But it will be what it is.
One time getting a problem solved using the manual will likely be a minimum of 1 hour mechanics time at a dealer, and more than pay for having a good technical manual. Priceless...

/ 1997 425 manuals? #10  
Sent ya an email

Joe