1997 F150 transmission issue

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue
Update. I changed the egr vacuum solenoid and tps sensor. The weird shifting stopped but the o/d light is still blinking. There may be an internal sensor malfunctioning. The trans does not seem to be slipping, so I am holding off on the rebuild. Btw, if you have to change the tps on this model, be careful with screws. They are held in with loctite from the factory and it is easy to strip. I did, therefore got them out and upgraded to allen head per some online research. Attached a pic for reference. The 7.3 did not work out. He decided to keep it. He has 14 yr old son and it will be his at driving age. Took him 2 weeks to decide this.

Attachments

• image-941374056.jpg
    image-941374056.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 71
   / 1997 F150 transmission issue #52  
That egr code is usualy caused by anfaulty DPFE sensor.

As for the OD light flashing, there should he a trans. code stored. The transmission range sensor and connector upgrade are a common problem, and sometimes wont set a code. This is mounted to the side of the trans on the selector shaft.

You may want to have a trans shop or dealer check for codes and range sensor.

As mentioned also check for leaking windsheild, or roof body seam sealer leaking, it will leak on the GEM module/ fusebox asy, this can cause some strange electrical problem's.

Dave

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #53  
As mentioned also check for leaking windsheild, or roof body seam sealer leaking, it will leak on the GEM module/ fusebox asy, this can cause some strange electrical problem's.

Dave

OH YEAH it will.. :)

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue
Soundguy said:
OH YEAH it will.. :)

Where is it located? This might explain a few things.

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #55  
Where is it located? This might explain a few things.

look inside drivers compartment beside your left leg. that's wher ehte fusebox is in most f series trucks. back sid eof the power distro center is the gem module.

I had a leaking lmap on the top of my cab when i first got my f350.. it ran water downthe pillar and fileld the gem up.

literally.. it 'sloshed' when you shook it.

i had blinking od lamps. power door locks that automatically randomly locked nad unlocked. gauges htet worked or did not work.. dome lamps and interior lamps that did or did not work including open door side lamps..e tc.

wet gem on a ford cripples it electrically.. :)