1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Does anyone have any idea why the engine doesn't stop when I turn the key off on my L3710? I can also remove the key while it's running. The electronics all shut down and gauges go to zero but the engine keeps running. I have to pull the fuel shutoff knob to kill it. It's not a big deal but it's bothering me anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated. FYI, I have a lot of squirrels that love to chew wires. I don't know if they've been on the tractor or not but they've really done a number on our cars and truck.

Thanks,
Kevin

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #2  
Does anyone have any idea why the engine doesn't stop when I turn the key off on my L3710? I can also remove the key while it's running. The electronics all shut down and gauges go to zero but the engine keeps running. I have to pull the fuel shutoff knob to kill it. It's not a big deal but it's bothering me anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated. FYI, I have a lot of squirrels that love to chew wires. I don't know if they've been on the tractor or not but they've really done a number on our cars and truck.

Thanks,
Kevin

I am guessing here but it is possible you do not have a fuel shut off solenoid on that tractor. You mentioned a fuel shutoff knob, and I am assuming it is on or under the dash. If that is the case, and you have the manual fuel shut off knob under the dash, then this is normal operation.. A diesel does not need any electrical system to run, once it is running. My B7500 was like you just described.. shut off key, take it out and the engine would continue to run until you manually shut off the fuel with the knob.

James K0UA

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #3  
Ditto to what kOua had to say. I have a B7100 that my son-in-law borrowed the other day. He drove it a mile down the road to his house then called to ask how do you turn it off. He had turned and removed the key and it was still running. I told him to push the throttle all the way down. That is the way it has worked from brand new.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #4  
Your fuel shut off is not functioning (it is mounted next to the Injector pump).
You may have a blown fuse Or an open wire going to that solenoid...
Either repair the problem OR use the pull 'kill'cable.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #5  
Your fuel shut off is not functioning (it is mounted next to the Injector pump).
You may have a blown fuse Or an open wire going to that solenoid...
Either repair the problem OR use the pull 'kill'cable.
yep I took the time to look up your diagram for the injector pump on the Kubota website, and looks like you DO have a fuel stop solenoid. Obviously it is not working. disregard what I said earlier about maybe not having one.. My B7500 did not have one, and relied on a fuel stop lever with a pull cable and knob under the dash.

James K0UA

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key
Thanks all, I will be looking into the fuel stop solenoid/fuse when I get a chance. That's pretty much what I expected. In the meantime, I'll be using the manual shut off.

I've owned this trator for several years and this is a new problem. It's been parked outside under a tree next to the woods for about a month. I'm thinking those pesky squirrels have been on it. I will update when I figure out the cause.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #7  
I have a GM Diesel pickup that developed this problem. I found that if I rattled the gear shift lever the engine would stop. I finally found that the battery cable grounding strap had broken. The body was not grounded to the engine.

Replacing the battery ground cable solved the problem.

The reason that rattling the gear shift would stop the engine was that the drive train was providing an intermittent ground. probably not good for polished, hardened, machine surfaces that were involved.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #9  
My 3710 just started doing the same thing, plus it's blowing the 40 amp main fuse. I bought a couple fuses to try to troubleshoot, but at $5.00/ per fuse, I dn't enjoy not finding the source of the problem, so I brought it to my local dealer. They worked it for a couple hours and couldn't figure it out either. I'll have to put my shade tree hat back on and look for the problem. If any of you users have any other ideas, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #10  
Doesn't the stop solenoid have to have 12 volts for the tractor to run? If so the plunger is staying in and not shuting the valve. Broken spring or rust, If it needs 12 volts to shut down, then the battery would go dead.