1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #11  
Doesn't the stop solenoid have to have 12 volts for the tractor to run? If so the plunger is staying in and not shuting the valve. Broken spring or rust, If it needs 12 volts to shut down, then the battery would go dead.

Thanks for your input. We'll check it out.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #12  
My background is in EE but thats a long time ago. so a blowing fuse means very high current. And this is usually typicall of a short (obviously). The trick is to understand how to isolate the short. My days- WE used a simple volt-Ohm meter. Use the Ohm/resistance settings. Try to disconnect parts and look for a 0 to a few Ohms short across parts. I do not know this tractors electrical layouts... but if you have those or can fine them. (a "Schemo" /Schematic) I'll review it for you. That was my life long ago.

Can you Tell me where that Fuse goes to? a starter or Soleinoid? Start disconnecting things you can and use the Ohm meter leads and Ohm them out. All the best and good luck.
CG

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #13  
Doesn't the stop solenoid have to have 12 volts for the tractor to run? If so the plunger is staying in and not shuting the valve. Broken spring or rust, If it needs 12 volts to shut down, then the battery would go dead.

No most Kubota engines use a key stop system where when the tractor key is turned off a timer relay fires off the stop solenoid for a few seconds usually long enough for all motion to stop. There are some engines with a three wire solenoid where they have a two windings where one is for stop and one for run.

David Kb7uns

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #14  
I would never guessed that. I can hear mine snap open and close. I think I well put a volt or test light on it to see just what is going on. Thanks

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #15  
My background is in EE but thats a long time ago. so a blowing fuse means very high current. And this is usually typicall of a short (obviously). The trick is to understand how to isolate the short. My days- WE used a simple volt-Ohm meter. Use the Ohm/resistance settings. Try to disconnect parts and look for a 0 to a few Ohms short across parts. I do not know this tractors electrical layouts... but if you have those or can fine them. (a "Schemo" /Schematic) I'll review it for you. That was my life long ago.

Can you Tell me where that Fuse goes to? a starter or Soleinoid? Start disconnecting things you can and use the Ohm meter leads and Ohm them out. All the best and good luck.
CG

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had time to look at it again, but the fuse is a 40 amp slow blow, intended to protect against wrong battery connections. since I was driving the tractor when it failed, it obviously isn't because the battery cables are mixed up. There must be a failure somewhere in the wires between the battery and the starter, or in the ignition system. Perhaps this weekend, I'll be able to get under the hood again to check out a few likely causes.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #16  
David Kb7uns
I checked my B7800 and the fuel soleinoid opens when I turn the key to give it 12v. It stayed on until I turn the key off. I didn't check my L4240 it might work as you said.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #17  
They will vary some but, in my bunch 3 of them have external 2 wire solenoids that are fired by the stop timer and attached to stop lever. The GL is internal plunger on pump and may have 2 or 3 not sure right now. On the BX and the G you can turn key off and hold lever until the cycle quits and it will run until it lloses prime from the electric lift pump not pumpin. The older Bs not familiar with so it may be different.

David Kb7uns

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key #18  
Thanks all, I will be looking into the fuel stop solenoid/fuse when I get a chance. That's pretty much what I expected. In the meantime, I'll be using the manual shut off.

I've owned this trator for several years and this is a new problem. It's been parked outside under a tree next to the woods for about a month. I'm thinking those pesky squirrels have been on it. I will update when I figure out the cause.
The same thing recently happened to my L3710, but I haven't investigated why yet. I assumed it was some type of electrical issue. The manual shutoff works fine, but now that's it's warming up outside, I'll be warming up to doing some troubleshooting. Thanks for posting and thanks to all who replied.

/ 1999 L3710 HST Engine won't shut off with key
The same thing recently happened to my L3710, but I haven't investigated why yet. I assumed it was some type of electrical issue. The manual shutoff works fine, but now that's it's warming up outside, I'll be warming up to doing some troubleshooting. Thanks for posting and thanks to all who replied.
Gosh, I wish I would have followed up on this thread and explained how I fixed it. I think I replaced the solenoid but I can't swear to it as my memory is very foggy on this after almost 12 years. I checked my email for a Messicks receipt and didn't find one. The problem may have fixed itself for all I know. I can tell you I don't have to use the manual fuel shutoff now :) but that's all I can say. :LOL: