1st Portable service in my home town

/ 1st Portable service in my home town #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
Looks like something Big Barn would restore. Anyone know what year that pick up is?

Scharf Welder.jpg

Last edited:
   / 1st Portable service in my home town #2  
I wonder how that thing tracked behind that truck.

Strange the different tires front and back.

Wouldn't you just like to go back in time and walk around and look at stuff?

/ 1st Portable service in my home town #3  
I wonder how that thing tracked behind that truck.

Strange the different tires front and back.

Wouldn't you just like to go back in time and walk around and look at stuff?

Might have steerable front wheels actuated by tow bar (note a lot of hardware centered on front axle) ...

Dale

/ 1st Portable service in my home town #4  
With those tires in the back makes you wonder if it didn't have a way to propel itself around. It would be heavy to move by hand to get it in a tight place.

/ 1st Portable service in my home town #5  
Looks like a '35-37 Ford. Guessing they made the welder trailer from an old Ford sedan chassis, appears to still have the radius arms for the front axle (might be where the flatty V8 came from also)

Last edited:
   / 1st Portable service in my home town #6  
Machine is a Hobart Bros generater coupled to a Ford V8, all shop put together in de days of mechanics. Picture been around a long time and looked at by some good men.
Hobart Bros sold a lot of dem generators up into de 50s. Army put thousands of dem on Jeeps wid PTO drivin em off transfer case. Other Jeeps had compressors set up same.

Eyeball dat spring setup, not much suspension to it.

Steering on wagon is Ackerman wid all de problems of dat in a wagon. If aligned perfect wid good kingpins & tie rod ends it tracks, most just waddle till you find right speed makes dem happy. Dat machine heavy fer truck pullin it so probably never went more den 20 on de street. Stoppin it was a chore for de pickup.

Hobart Bros made 2 self propelled machines for factories & ship yards, but both very short production due to cost and usefulness. 1 was designed wid hard tires fer in factory use only. Bigger machine had air tires. Also made a kit up fer Farmall tractor but not many sold. 1 Farmall still around in collection.

Hobart Bros was very inventive company leading de parade till it got sold to ITW when inheritors more money hungry den willing to work... ITW had to abandon several product lines including engine driven machines and Plasma welding (NOT CUTTING). ITW give poduct lines to Thermal Dynamics along wid warehouse full of Hobart Bros parts to get clear of lawsuit. TD bein fools scrapped all de parts & drawings, so now Hobart Bros parts is paperclips.
White Hobart products are China JUNK!

/ 1st Portable service in my home town #7  
Huh? De T is between de R and de Y. De H is between de G and de J.