1st Post- Looking at an Old L5450

/ 1st Post- Looking at an Old L5450 #1  

Hayes Creek

Tractor
NONE!
I'm just now delving into the compact tractor market. I recently bought ten acres in SW Montana (Hamilton) and thought I was gonna get away without needing a tractor. At first I thought well, I'll only need it for snow removal and it will sit the rest of the year. Now that winter is getting close to over, I realized that even if that was true, it's probably worth it. I have about 150 yards of driveway, then a pretty big area between shop and garage and another staging area that need snow removal to keep the place useful all winter... the ATV plow ISN'T going to cut it.

So I started looking at tractors and was leaning toward a 25-35 hp machine, basically wanting a FEL and Backblade, with MAYBE a blower at some point but that would be out in the future due to budget issue. Oh, a grappel on front would be nice because I plan to to quite a bit of work with trees/logs. Anyhow, once I started looking I then realized how handy it would be to have one around. FYI, My dad has a Kioti that I've used quite a bit through the years, its 12 years old now and has been trouble free!

About the time I decided I needed one a friend let me know about a 92' L5450 with 3000 hours that has been parked indoors its whole life and has had regularly scheduled maintenance by the local Kubota shop. He drives the tractor and is very familiar with it, he is also a diesel mechanic and fabricator for a trucking company. He claims the tractor is in TOP condition. Says the only sign of disrepair on it, is "one loader cylinder seeps when it gets hot"...

Anyhow, for something like this, with FEL... what "might" be a good deal. And, is it too big? A friend has an L3240 that I've been around and it seems like a good size. This 5450 is about 2 feet longer, 1000# heavier... and only marginally wider (7") and wheelbase 5" longer.

Is 12k too much for this old of a machine?

Thanks for discussion!

Ernie
Montana

/ 1st Post- Looking at an Old L5450 #2  
12K for that machine is o.k.The "50"series Kubota has a good reputation and not too big.They shrink after using!

/ 1st Post- Looking at an Old L5450
Right on. I'm gonna get in it next week and run it around a bit.
Thanks!

/ 1st Post- Looking at an Old L5450 #4  
I agree with the others - its certainly not too big for 10 acres. These machines are built to last and being clean and stored inside is worth a premium. 12k is actually pretty reasonable - it would cost 4x that or more to replace with new. The L5450 is a very robust tractor - may well outlast newer models. A seal kit for the loader cylinders is inexpensive and easy to install. I'd pounce before it gets away. Take care, Dick B

THanks for the info R. The guy isn't "advertising" it and figures it'll be there at the end of the week for me to get a look at. If I jump on her and nothing jumps out and bothers me, I'll probably go for it, as I am on a limited budget and most the other machines I"ve been looking at are 23-27k....

I'll let ya guys know what I do!

Anything in particular I should be looking for when I run her? I trust the caretaker and he's a mechanic... soooo.... Not sure what I might see that he hasn't.

/ 1st Post- Looking at an Old L5450 #7  
Anything in particular I should be looking for when I run her?
I made the attached list to remind myself what to check, it's easy to get distracted and forget something simple.

Attachments

• Used Tractor Checklist.pdf
    45.4 KB · Views: 135
Cool Thanks Beez!

/ 1st Post- Looking at an Old L5450 #9  
Good luck on the purchase. Of course we'll need pictures when you get it home!!!

Question, does anyone know what the standard bucket size is on that tractor? I see it has a LA1150 loader.