1st real loader use..ford 660

/ 1st real loader use..ford 660 #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Though I've used other peoples loaders.. and heavy equipment lotsa times.. I've never ( up until now ) owned a tractor with a loader.

Well.. as you guys know.. I picked up my 1955 ford 660 a few weeks ago. I had a few maintenance items to do to it.. tuneup.. fluids.. getting the electrical system in order and adding some lamps to it.. adjusting the breaks.. etc.

I finished that 'list' today.. and finally did my first loader work... I moved a single bucket of dirt to fill a hole along the fenceline my dogs had dug! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And then parked the tractor. Good thing I fixed the brakes and added lamps.. this was done at dark! after I finished my regular farm chores.

As one member put it.. I've come into the 20th century ( loader ownership ) and did it on tractor from 1955! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just thought I'd share that. oh incedentally.. the brakes turned into a two afternoon job instead of a 1 afternoon job. I got the brakes adjusted fine.. but then broke the pedal height adjusting clevis trying to ballance the pedal height. I ended up making a new one from some 3/8 rod and a couple clevis ends I welded on.. along with a piece of allthread and a long couler nut so that I can actually adjust the pedal height now.

Soundguy

/ 1st real loader use..ford 660 #2  
Sound guy my old 55 ford has a genny onit. wondered if you put an alt on yours. i like the genny.......teddy and it's 6 volt which I also like

/ 1st real loader use..ford 660
My 660 still has the genny, and is 6v. i do have a NAA though with an alternator/12v, as well as a 2n with an alternator/12v.. and an 8n that is still 6v with a genny.
I like the gennies.. they are much more forgiving for bad charging practices.. bad jumping practices.. and oopses! when hooking batteries up backwards accidentally!

Soundguy

/ 1st real loader use..ford 660 #4  
Yup, nothing wrong with a 6v generator. I turned lots of armatures on my old Southbend lathe when I was a kid, remember cleaning the armature segments with an old hacksaw blade? They worked pretty good providing the RPM's were up and they were maintained & lubed. As you say, pretty durable and forgiving too.

There is something nice about that old iron. Simple and easy to work on or split (except for taking the hood off) BTW, congrats on the loader. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yep.. the hood is a little non-plussing.. I had to do a steering rebuild on an 8n recently.. and in years before I had pulled the hood and tank and all. Now I've wised up and found you can remov ethe radiator cap, remove the dogleg bolts, grill, and the 4 dash bolts.. and air cleaner.. and tilt the hood back about 6" and still get to EVERYTHING dealing with the steering.

Soundguy

/ 1st real loader use..ford 660 #6  
sound guy, how is the steering? do you have power or armstrong. I know my 650 gets pretty tuff with the front weight and nothing on the rear. I should try to retro some type of falcon, mustang P.S. ram on the tie rods.

/ 1st real loader use..ford 660 #7  
<font color="blue"> As one member put it.. I've come into the 20th century ( loader ownership ) and did it on tractor from 1955! </font>

So soundguy, how many years are you behind the rest of then? I mean, seein' that we're now in our fifth year of the 21st century... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS...don't feel too bad. We were welcomed to the 90s a couple years ago when we installed one of those motion detecter auto on lights at the front door... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 1st real loader use..ford 660 #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My 660 still has the genny, and is 6v. i do have a NAA though with an alternator/12v, as well as a 2n with an alternator/12v.. and an 8n that is still 6v with a genny.
)</font>
you got some nice older tractors! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif any chance of seeing some pictures of them? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( sound guy, how is the steering? do you have power or armstrong. I know )</font>

Armstrong. And considering it has a loader.. not to bad.. though you don't turn the wheel any till the tractor is moving! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As one member put it.. I've come into the 20th century ( loader ownership ) and did it on tractor from 1955!

So soundguy, how many years are you behind the rest of then? I mean, seein' that we're now in our fifth year of the 21st century... )</font>

Hey.. I just relayed it as it was told to me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Soundguy