1st visit to Fastenal was exciting!

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Home | Fastenal

Fastenal opened in Murray a few years ago yet I had never stopped in but I did today. I am looking for fancy ways to mount some muffin fans behind the RV fridge and was looking for some metal options.

They will sell any of their metal stock by the inch so that was cool. If you have never visited one but drive pass one then check it out to get an image of what they stock, can order or will make to order.

Some say they are high but for me having it locally is makes it worth more. :thumbsup:

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #2  
I would like to see a picture of a muffin fan. :D

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #3  
I shop at their store and have found that they have or can get special nuts bolts and a lot of special items. You pay a little more for some things but at least you get quality stuff.

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #4  
fastenal has outrageous pricing on everything. i go there all the time to buy things for work, and almost have a hard time spending my employer's $$ b/c i know i can go elsewhere and buy the same thing for 1/3 the cost. i would never spend a dime of my personal $$ at fastenal.

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #5  
Went there once, was impressed by their stock and depressed by their prices.

Went back to purchase only once when I REQUIRED a really weird metric bolt and couldn't find it at Home Depot/Lowes.

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting!
I know TSC is lower priced on common fastners but I do not go there for common stuff. They had the metal stock I was looking for and cut 6' of stock into 8 pieces for me to my measurements.

They are into the uncommon and I hope they charge enough to stay in town.:thumbsup:

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #7  
they are crazy high i only go there when i cant find some bolt or nut with some crazy thread anywhere else

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #8  
I bought a few things from Fastenal when I couldn't wait for a McMaster-Carr, MSC Direct, or ENCO order to arrive.

Compared to McMaster and MSC Direct, Fastenal's selection is just so-so. Any specialty industrial supplier is going to be higher than 'Big Box Mart;' but that's the price you pay for selection compared to Depot and Lowe's.

In order of preference I buy from:

McMaster-Carr, 90%+

MSC Direct/Enco, ~4% each

Fastenal, <1%

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #9  
they are crazy high i only go there when i cant find some bolt or nut with some crazy thread anywhere else

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to visit Fastenal in the first place rather than spending time and travel money searching elsewhere?

They have over 1 million different items in their inventory. People who buy more product do get much better pricing. I bought stock in Fastenal many years ago. I have this theory that companies who sell boring, but necessary products make good long term investments. Fastenal is a good example of success using this investment approach.

/ 1st visit to Fastenal was exciting! #10  
I went to them once. I wanted a few special bolts. They would only sell by the box. I have not been back.