2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #11  
Another vote for seaforam

If that fails, a teardown is in order. Watch the carb cleaners on any rubber on the carb (gaskets etc) , some cleaners really do a number on it.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #13  
You can buy "Real" gas at most marina's. I get all my small engine fuel at the local marina.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #14  
Seafoam will work but, spraying it in will not expose it to the clogged jets, you must introduce it into the carb via the fuel line.
Fixemall is absolutely correct. You are unlikely to fix any gummed carburetor by simply spraying stuff in it while it is running. I always thought it was false advertising of sorts when you read these cans that tell you that you can fix a gummed carb by spraying their product in a running engine.
-Jay

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #15  
Bird
I've had sooo many issues with small engine carbs whether 2 stroke or four in the last 2-3 years.. unreal ! I replaced quite a few carbs ( Jacks smallengines.com) because of the "reformulated gas"(10% alcohol). The new alcohol mix seems to really mess with small engines.This is not my opinion ...proven fact. Unfortunatly for me is all that is available locally.
I also only run 93 octane & w/ Stihl HP Ultra synthetic in my 2 strokes.
I've added lead additive to my mix and it does seem to help along with stabil.
I also never leave any gas in the carb/ tank for any lenght of time after use
ak9

Try StarTron instead of Stabil.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner
Unfortunately, the replies to this thread confirm what I suspected.:laughing: Oh well, it's running great right now without doing anything. So I appreciate all the replies.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #17  
I've no experience at all with Seafoam. In fact, on TBN is the only place I've even heard of it. I do use Stihl HP Ultra synthetic 2 cycle oil and add Stabil to the gas.

I may be wrong but I think I read that Stihl Ultra has stabilizer in in already.
Saves a step in the memory process.

I may be wrong but I think I read that Stihl Ultra has stabilizer in in already.
Saves a step in the memory process.

Oh, it does say right on the bottle "contains fuel stabilizers", but I add some Stabil anyway.

Anyway, it ran great today and dethatching the back yard wore me plumb out. I'd really just gotten started good when I made the first 2 photos and then had some help filling 8 contractor bags later.

Attachments

• DSCN0348 (1080 x 810).jpg
    DSCN0348 (1080 x 810).jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0349 (1080 x 810).jpg
    DSCN0349 (1080 x 810).jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0351 (1080 x 810).jpg
    DSCN0351 (1080 x 810).jpg
    358 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0352 (1080 x 810).jpg
    DSCN0352 (1080 x 810).jpg
    396 KB · Views: 215
   / 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #20  
The ethanol content in the new fuel formulations just ruins the fuel pumps and metering diaphragms in 2 cycle carburetors. Using a carburetor cleaner on a running machine would harm these components as well as the neoprene type tips on the metering and mixture needles.

Using the 89-92 octane gasoline and the best oil mix with stabilizing additives you can afford, is highly recommended. Run the tank and carb dry when you aren't going to use it for a few weeks or longer will also help tremendously.

We are rebuilding small engine carburetors constantly. About every two years it seems for most machines. Most kits are about $12. If you're mechanically inclined, it's pretty straightforward. Your local shop guy should be able to do it in 1/2 hour.

Also, your screws being 'all the way open', do they have limiter caps on them? Most limit what the consumer can do to the adjustment (because of the EPA standards).