2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #11  
I would also look at other places, the implement I bought at buckeye was good, but it could have been built a little heavier, IMHO

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #12  
Here is what is called a Field cultivator with spring loaded shanks. Shanks can be removed for smaller tractors. We use them in fields with multiple passes to get to the 14-16 inch depth. Shanks auto reset when you hit a rock. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• 0tiller9shankalfalfapointsback595.JPG
    0tiller9shankalfalfapointsback595.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 2,673
   / 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP
Thanks Ken and One Acre Farm.

Ken - I was thinking along the same lines - that if I used this type of implement, it would take a couple passes to get down deeper.

One Acre - Did you purchase a chisel plow from Buckeye? If yes, which one?

Thanks,

Spindifferent

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #14  
I didn't buy from them, still looking for one, will let you know if I find something

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #15  
In your first post, that doesnt really look like a chisel plough to me, its just a heavy duty spring tine i guess... I wouldnt be too fond of using it at 10" depth, the tines bend so that the chisel doesnt make a proper angle to penetrate the soil, and if they dont pull themself into the ground, they dont give you any additional weight transfer to the tractor which causes traction problems.

I use a rigid tine cultivator to renovate pastures, its a 9 shank model, with a 10" tine spacing. Its comparable to what Ken posted in this post:
Here is what is called a Field cultivator with spring loaded shanks. Shanks can be removed for smaller tractors. We use them in fields with multiple passes to get to the 14-16 inch depth. Shanks auto reset when you hit a rock. Ken Sweet
just without the auto-reset, as we dont have rocks around here. I run it in 1st gear high range with a 55hp 4wd Zetor which weighs around 8500 pound. For what i want to do with it, i'd actually need a wider tine spacing, as a rule of thumb you shouldnt run a tillage implement deeper than the tine spacing. First pass on hard tramped horse pasture i run out of traction, 2nd pass i bury it to the frame, which is about 15 inches deep. So i'd actually need an implement with a 15" shank spacing, but its my neighbours cultivator so i cant modify it ;)

The cultivator with auto-reset springs is a different animal than a heavy spring tine cultivator: the spring tine cultivator will flex under load and put the chisels upright in the ground if ran too deep. The auto-reset does have springs, but it only moves when hitting a boulder, but maintains its chisel angle when just running it deep.

I think if you have solid shanks with a chisel angle of 30 degrees, your tractor will most likely pull the three shank chisel on hard tramped pasture. With a chisel angle of over 45 degrees, you'll run out of traction and you'll still be mixing too much soil.

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #16  

That is a quack digger.

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #17  
We built a 1 shank chisel this fall and pulled it with a JD 2305 w/R4s. It pulled it pretty well in ground that had been tilled to about 3".

On the farm we use a 4455 to pull 7 shanks like a previous poster. Firgure about 20hp and 2000 lbs per shank.

I would think 2 would be the max for the OP.

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP
Thanks Renze and Duffster.

Renze - Is this similar to what you are using?

K&M Mfg. Product 3

I've spoken with the Hay King folks, and they can build a custom unit that can use either the renovator shanks (with or without the coulters) and that can also use the chisel shanks as well:

K&M Mfg. Product 4

All of these just bolt to the 4x4 square tubing and I could build it with any number of shanks - probably 3.

Spindifferent

/ 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #19  
Here is a 9 shank (spaced 15 inches apart) shanks are 18 inches long and each one is shearpin protected. $995 New. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• 9shankrenovatorfront995.JPG
    9shankrenovatorfront995.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 489
   / 2 or 3 shank chisel plow and tractor HP #20  
Renze - Is this similar to what you are using?
The manufacturer doesnt have a very clear website, but its very similar to this:
http://www.butsmeulepas.nl/data/images/producten_extra/gr_db90ch93oek93i_bm2.JPG
The one i use, just has 9 of these shanks and no roller behind it.

Here is a 9 shank (spaced 15 inches apart) shanks are 18 inches long and each one is shearpin protected. $995 New. Ken Sweet
this one would be useful, just needs its shanks staggered. When tilling deep, ours already plugs up with quackgrass with staggered shanks, which means 30" spacing on each row.