2-speed axle shift lever fulcrum bolt - 855?

/ 2-speed axle shift lever fulcrum bolt - 855? #1  

duckgeek

Hi,

I've been lurking and studying the contents of the site for a couple of months now and just this week I took the plunge and bought a 1991 JD 855 tlb with just under 400 hours in excellent condition with a handful of implements.

We took possession at the end of the day yesterday. When I got home from work tonight I was going through the manual and following along on the tractor when I got to the axle shift lever. We had checked this for proper operation prior to delivery, but I suspect the fulcrum bolt was loose and wiggled off during a long ride over here so the lever just flopped around loosely. What good is a lever without leverage?

Does anyone have the specs for the bolt? I managed to get my iPhone camera down there and the threads look good. I'll check with the local Deere shop tomorrow, but I would love to know if a simple hardware store bolt and washer will work.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed to such a huge cache of wisdom and information here!

/ 2-speed axle shift lever fulcrum bolt - 855? #2  
Welcome DG. I suggest you get an owner's and shop manual from Deere Publications.

https://techpubs.deere.com/

The CD version is cheaper than the hard-copy version, and you can print out replacement pages as needed.

I have the shop manual for my 4200 and it's a wealth of information. Well worth the ~$65 I paid for the CD as I recall.

/ 2-speed axle shift lever fulcrum bolt - 855?
Thank you mjncad.

Local dealer had the bolt but not the spacer or washer. He could only order the washer in qty 100, so I'll source that in a different manner. Easy peasy.

/ 2-speed axle shift lever fulcrum bolt - 855?
Mystery solved.

The previous owner had ordered a new plastic bezel because the original was beat up from the lever smacking into it, so he also took out the fulcrum bolts/sleeves on both PTO levers and ordered new assemblies so that the levers would have less horizontal slop in them. He's bringing them with him when he drops off the balance of the equipment I'm purchasing from him this weekend.

Here's a picture of my assistant sitting on my new little mule...

clairejd.jpg