2 stage pedal action John Deere 3120 ehydro ?

/ 2 stage pedal action John Deere 3120 ehydro ? #1  

OzGrasshopper

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
Hi All, further to my earlier post on "transmission calibration" & having contacted another owner of similar JD3000 unit, the question arises as to whether or not the 2007/2008 John Deere 3120 ehydro does or does not have a 2 stage pedal action - meaning first 1/2 to 2/3 of pedal travel is for "normal working", last 1/4 to 1/3 of pedal travel engages a faster "transport like" mode in the same operating range. The operating ranges being as marked on selector as :- A (slow work), B (normal or mid -range work) C (high speed/transport)

i didn't think this was the case, but when i first got the unit i used to get a bit of a shock now & again when sometimes my foot went down a bit quick speed pickup was perhaps "above average" never thought much about it. since chasing up info on this "transmission calibration" issue, & noting Chickenmans comments on need for adjustment of calibration now & again in other thread, i'm wondering if perhaps my calibrations were a bit out right from the start & perhaps thats why i didn't really appreciate this 2 stage action if it is in fact a feature of the tractor. i can see nothing about this in either manual or JD web pages........can anyone clarrify this situation. cheers OG:thumbsup:

/ 2 stage pedal action John Deere 3120 ehydro ? #2  
I have never heard of anything like this:confused2:

/ 2 stage pedal action John Deere 3120 ehydro ? #3  
Perhaps you speak of MotionMatch.

From the owners manual;

"MotionMatch enables the operator to adjust machine acceleration and
deceleration rates. Shorter starting and stopping distances can be set for
applications requiring rapid changes in direction, such as operating with a
loader. Longer starting and stopping distances can be set to avoid turf
damage in other applications."

/ 2 stage pedal action John Deere 3120 ehydro ? #4  
I can relate to this 2 stage action that you feel. I use my 3720 for finish mowing, at about 5-6 mph in "B" there felt/sounded like a second stage if I bounced on the petal over a bump. The pedal just seems to have a sensitive area towards the end of the travel. I've seen questions on this before, should study the service manual I guess I just got the tractor this spring so my right foot is still learning. I put in the upgraded cruise, set the max speed with speed match and floor it, no problems with bumps now:).
Does your Load Match work at lower RPM? My throttle position sensor barely makes the low end of the specs and causes the Load Match to not work at low speed. Is it related ???

Tim
07 3720

/ 2 stage pedal action John Deere 3120 ehydro ?
Hi Tim, yes u've described exactly how i felt that padal works. when i first got the tractor i'd push too hard when working loader & even with load match on i'd get the front wheels off the ground very quickly when pushing too hard too quick. i don't know about load match not working at lower revs, cos i always work the tractor at 2250 revs, engine seems to purrrrrr along at that setting. its been unseasonally raining all day here today so i didn't do any tractor work, but in next 2 days i've got to have tractor out so i'll experiment with load match & lower revs. i didn't get Motion Match & only got it with standard cruise contral - overall i'm very happy with the unit at 800 hrs. main problem i've had is having rocks hit the underneath of the very bottom of the front wheel differential housing both left & right - theres a light guard plate & seal there next to front wheel, & its the lowest part of the tractor, if those plates get dented by rocks or logs, seals break & oil from that front end drive drips out. i've had to replace 4 plates so far - it really is a poor design feature for a tractor that has a strong bucket assembly. otherwise it a wonderful tractor, extremely pleasant to ride on for long periods of work - extremely comfortable for old folk like me..... cheers OG