2-way radio help

/ 2-way radio help #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Not sure where to post this so we'll jump in here. Need some advice from a few of you hunters out there. I would like some input of the hand held 2-way radios that I see being advertised daily. I need something rechargable, with at least a 2 mile range, and with a vibrating alert since I will be using it sitting on a compact tractor. I also have high tension wires that cross my property, will this affect reception? Any comments are most welcome as I have not yet made a purchase.

Mike

/ 2-way radio help #2  
My experience with the handheld two way radios that you see these days is with 2 types. FRS and GMRS

Both radios are "line of sight" which means that if there are any hills in the way, range is severly limited. Buildings and trees can also affect range. The only time you get full published range is usually over water or probably flat land with no obstacles in between.
GMRS radios have more transmit power than FRS radios, and so punch through obstacles better, but still won't go through hills. GMRS radios require a $50 FCC license, FRS radios don't. FRS radios are cheaper. If your usage is over flat land with no obstacles, an FRS may be the right choice. On the other hand, if you have less than ideal conditions, GMRS would probably be a better choice. You can get base stations for your house for either one. (good choice). I have used both types for hunting in the woods in hilly areas and have found that GMRS works out better for me. Hope this helps.

/ 2-way radio help #3  
I use FRS radios from Midland when hunting. They are very handy to have, to call for help dragging, notify others in party of siting and direction. I hunt in deep hardwoods and have never lost contact. I didnt want the bother of the FCC license. The FRS radios are also used by familys at malls to keep in touch and by big rig truckers when backing into tight spots. I use mine when going into the field to mow too. Motorola and Midland make quality units. Garmin makes one with a built in GPS, the Rhino . It shows your location to the other unit when you transmit. The AA batteries last over a year with Midlands Battery Saver mode.

/ 2-way radio help #4  
I've used many different types and frequency radios. We used VHF for the local FD and UHF at work, I also have some FRS radios and as far as range there's only a slight difference in any of them when talking handheld to handheld. The biggest difference you can make is to buy a repeater station. that way it will allow you to get better distance even between handhelds.

/ 2-way radio help #5  
As stated by others, GMRS requires a license, but you can run high power and install a repeater system. That said, you need better than the box store GMRS units to do it. You would be spending $250-300 per radio to get that capability.

You might want to look at the Multiple User Radio System (MURS) units. They are actually the old VHF "roaming" frequencies in the business band. Power is limited to two watts, but as it's VHF rather than UHF, I'd expect the range to be slightly better. The FCC just gave up tring to regulate the users. Here's a site with some good information and links: http://www.provide.net/~prsg/murshome.htm

/ 2-way radio help #6  
PineRidge,

I am not sure on how much money you want to spend but you may want to check out the Garmin GPS pages and look up the Rhino series. These are two way radios along with a GPS built in. So if one of you get lost the other person has a cordinate on the one lost. They are becoming popular.

murph

/ 2-way radio help
Guess I should have said that these will be used only on a 6 acre plot for communication between home and mowing routine. The only thing that really concerns me is that I need the vibrating mode so that it may be felt/heard over the running diesel and the fact that they will be used close to some high tension towers also on the property. Should I expect any interference from the high voltage towers, or are these crystal clear?

/ 2-way radio help #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( GMRS radios have more transmit power than FRS radios )</font>

<font color="orange"> Usually </font>

There is a trend in offering "Gummers" in the same output power as FRS, of course they still claim "up to" 5 mille range. (jerks!)

I bought some Uniden GMRS radios at Overstock.com for $50 each. They had been $249, but were being discontinued. The new model boasted ~300mW vs. 2W for these. Uniden was dropping the higher wattage. Go figure.

Of course, it is a real pain to actually find the power specs. I went online and opened product manuals to get it. My Unidens are probably semi-pro models, and I am sure there are better, but these blow away the FRS units I had.

/ 2-way radio help #9  
Mike:

This is probably mundane, but have you thought of using your cell phone? I put mine on vibe, and the CFO (and others, unfortunately /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) can reach me.

JackD

/ 2-way radio help #10  
Covering 6 acres, I would expect that you would have no problem using an FRS radio. As a matter of fact, the sportsmans guide is offering a base station FRS for about $15. I don't think the high tension wires will be a problem. If you can't find a vibrating FRS, you could always use an ear bud type headset. It would fit inside hearing protectors if you use them. Or work fine if you don't.