2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #11  
I got curious and I have to say my impression of limited front axle pivot was totally wrong. I backed one rear tire up onto some big rocks, enough to register over 15 degrees on my tilt meter that I use grading, and both front tires were still flat on the ground. Now all I have to do is figure out why I see opposite front and rear tires spinning and hardly scuffing the ground when I am out in the woods. I am now thinking that the front end is very light because of the hitch I am dragging so if one rear tire hits a slippery spot I loose traction since the light front end is doing very little traction wise. I always erroneously assumed the tractor didn't pivot enough on the front end to keep the tire on the ground. Thanks for putting me straight.

EDIT 4:40 pm: After thinking about what I said a couple hours I feel dumber and dumber. When I backed up on that rock I knew a front wheel would not come off the ground. I have done it to many times. I have no idea why when I lost traction I thought it was because the tractor was stiff.

Last edited:
   / 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #12  
I'd say there is a very large difference. With the 2 wheel drive, you know you'll get stuck. With the 4 wheel drive, you think you won't get stuck (because you have 2 more wheels to engage if it happens), so you go further in before you do. :laughing:

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #13  
I'd say there is a very large difference. With the 2 wheel drive, you know you'll get stuck. With the 4 wheel drive, you think you won't get stuck (because you have 2 more wheels to engage if it happens), so you go further in before you do. :laughing:

No truer words, and that even works with tracks. I kept getting stuck in my "dry" pond with my narrow tracked loader near the edge which made it easy to recover. So, I picked a lgp dozer thinking it was like a 4x4 tractor vs 2wd. Well, you still can get stuck with lgp tracks but now I am in the middle of the pond bottom with two foot of mud to deal with and no easy way to pull it out. On another forum, someone told me to make sure I get a winch on the back if I was going to work on my pond, well he was correct.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #14  
The big difference is braking. If you have load on FEL and nothing on 3 point there will not be much braking action even on mild slope. If the slope is steeper then the tractor will slide even with empty FEL. Same thing will happen when climbing a slope with load in FEL. You go nowhere until you engage front. Some dealers automatically load rear tires when they install FEL.
Some tractors that engage front wheel drive by hydraulic clutch engage the front automatically whenever you step on brake.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #15  
I have used both and can say a 2WD tractor turns and handles better than a 4WD tractor that is in 2WD. Mowing, york raking, rotory tilling, I always go to my 2WD first.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode
Wasn't thinking along those lines, but a very good point! ;)

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode
I have used both and can say a 2WD tractor turns and handles better than a 4WD tractor that is in 2WD. Mowing, york raking, rotory tilling, I always go to my 2WD first.
There are a lot of times I know I won't need 4 WD and FEL. Was thinking that having a comparable 2 WD to save the hours and wear on the more expensive 4 WD machine / components might be a good plan.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #18  
There are a lot of times I know I won't need 4 WD and FEL. Was thinking that having a comparable 2 WD to save the hours and wear on the more expensive 4 WD machine / components might be a good plan.

You also have to look at how many hours per year you average and ask yourself if you are really ever gonna wear it out?

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #19  

I think a total front axle overhaul isn't that expensive though? Plus running a 4wd in 2wd shouldn't wear the front drivetrain at all.
If I've got something heavy on the back I do like to run in 2wd when I can. It's nicer for loader work, plus if you start spinning a tire, you know you're getting the tractor a bit unbalanced.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #20  
No truer words, and that even works with tracks. I kept getting stuck in my "dry" pond with my narrow tracked loader near the edge which made it easy to recover. So, I picked a lgp dozer thinking it was like a 4x4 tractor vs 2wd. Well, you still can get stuck with lgp tracks but now I am in the middle of the pond bottom with two foot of mud to deal with and no easy way to pull it out. On another forum, someone told me to make sure I get a winch on the back if I was going to work on my pond, well he was correct.

Oh, come on.. you have to post pics!!