2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice?

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice?
Here's our getting started pictures. So far, so good. It may take us a while....trying to work on this while still trying to have a life, lol.

horse shed project1.jpghorse shed project1a.jpg

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #43  
Quick note: If you imbed the bottom board in the ground, as the ground freezes & expands, it will use the boards to lift the building & work the posts up some. When I lived in northern Minnesota we would either dig down below the frost line to do a footing or if using posts leave a 3-4" gap then lay rail road ties, rocks, sq bales, ..., along the outside to block the gap.

If you go with the steel roof (I would), for the supports it you screw a 2x4 flat across the vertical 2x creating a "T" it will greatly stiffen the vertical 2x & provide you a wider area to screw to. (Less misses)

Sometimes getting the neoprene washered screws to start into the steel can be a challenge. (Some have good points & others don"t) There is not shame in using a hammer or drilling a small (3/32") hole in the steel to get the screw started. DO NOT use the screws with a drill bit pointed tip. These are for screwing into steel purlins & will make too big a hole so the screws will not hold as well screwing into wood.

Have Fun!
John

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice?
Quick note: If you imbed the bottom board in the ground, as the ground freezes & expands, it will use the boards to lift the building & work the posts up some. When I lived in northern Minnesota we would either dig down below the frost line to do a footing or if using posts leave a 3-4" gap then lay rail road ties, rocks, sq bales, ..., along the outside to block the gap.

If you go with the steel roof (I would), for the supports it you screw a 2x4 flat across the vertical 2x creating a "T" it will greatly stiffen the vertical 2x & provide you a wider area to screw to. (Less misses)

Sometimes getting the neoprene washered screws to start into the steel can be a challenge. (Some have good points & others don"t) There is not shame in using a hammer or drilling a small (3/32") hole in the steel to get the screw started. DO NOT use the screws with a drill bit pointed tip. These are for screwing into steel purlins & will make too big a hole so the screws will not hold as well screwing into wood.

Have Fun!
John

Thanks for the advise. I have had several folks advise us not to imbed the bottom board, and I can totally get how it could aid in lifting the boards/posts when the ground freezes, so we won't be doing that. Like you say, she can use something to block the gap if needed. Not sure what my friend is actually going to decide to use for the roof. Due to her tight budget, she will more than likely go with what is the least expensive. Not saying that I agree, (personally I like the steel roof idea, but she already bought some shingles, got a great deal) but I'm only trying to help her, so she will have the final say on that. She may have to pay someone to finish the roof, not sure yet....depends on what she decides she wants for the roof. I have read alot of suggestions that advise against using shingles due to the slope, but she may go with that anyway. I will try to talk her out of it, but..........we'll just have to wait and see.

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #45  
She may have to pay someone to finish the roof, not sure yet....depends on what she decides she wants for the roof. I have read alot of suggestions that advise against using shingles due to the slope, but she may go with that anyway.

If all you have is the shingles then you can glue down the lower edge using a few dabs of roofing cement under the exposed end of each shingle to keep them on a low slope roof. I'm pretty sure this is a recommendation of GAF for steep slope roofs, but I also seem to remember seeing it for low slope too.

I've used this with good luck:

Henry 4.75-Gal. 505 Flash Master Cement-HE505571 at The Home Depot

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #46  
put the singles up and when she gets some money in a couple of years put the metal over it

I'm glad to see you helping a person in need
just take what ya got and make the best of it
sometimes the guys on here get there engineering overalls on and want to drive the train

I think they have given you a good idea of how and why now just make it the best you can and when you have another question just ask

good luck

:thumbsup: