20% grade

/ 20% grade #21  
I bought the hillside behind my house last year and the guy I bought it from came over to say hello and check out my new Kioti (on a quad runner). He saw I was going up and down and commented that he used to go around in a circle in a two wheel drive older tractor - one that just looking at it would appear to have a higher center of gravity that mine because the wheels are closer together - especially his front wheels. The graphic posted in this thread of a 20 degree slope - that does look pretty tame on paper - but my land is not perfectly graded. It is generally smooth but has little depressions and humps. It is when I got a wheel started down off one of those areas that I felt most at risk of either a slide or a rollover happening. Hog, your post, and others about highway maintenance, is confidence inspiring, but as most have commented safety is all about knowing your land and where a sudden drop off can occur that could tip you over. Thanks for the reply! I will try and upload some pictures of my land today.

/ 20% grade #22  
When we build DRAs (retention ponds, generally dry ponds) we cut the slopes to a 4:1 (25%) and they are mowed sideways, would take a month of Sundays to mow up/down. On the flip side, these guys mow 6 days per week, 12-14 hours per day, they are used to it. Typically using 75-85 HP JDs or Kubs. When construction is done we generally make the road builder mow the entire job, and many times they bring a zero turn or a tracked skid steer with bushhog because there puker meter goes off using a tractor sideways on a 4:1.

/ 20% grade #23  
IMG_0295.jpgIMG_0286.jpgIMG_0292.jpg

Trying to upload some photos of the hillside.

/ 20% grade #24  
20-30 goats... some sheep....a few llama .... fixed that issue

/ 20% grade #25  
Okay, just downloaded a free app "tiltmeter" for my iphone. Will give it at try and report back. Then realized I needed to buy a Lifeproof Suction cup holder to fit the waterproof case. App seems useful on its own. Want to mount to my tractor and see want kind of slopes I am dealing with and try to get an idea of 'safe' slope for my landscaping/grading project in my backyard. Have a sloping cleared acre to play with.

/ 20% grade #26  
I suggested that to my wife and she thought it not such a viable solution!

/ 20% grade #27  
My wife and I purchased a small farm that has a lot of grades. Most fields have less than 15% grade but some of the lower fields have 20% grade. The farm was plowed by a horse and plow. I am looking for suggestions on what type of tractor would be the best to buy in order to plow safely.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

how about a small to medium tracked vehicle maybe the size of a JD 450-550 got to be more stable than the average tractor??

/ 20% grade #28  
Here are some pics of some of the hills I have. Cell phone cam does not do the best job showing how steep they really are

Attachments

• hill 1.jpg
    hill 1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 132
  • hill2.jpg
    hill2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 144
  • hill3.jpg
    hill3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 140
  • hill4.jpg
    hill4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 120
   / 20% grade #29  
Hog,

That third pic with the tree shadows - yep, you got a hill there! That looks like the steepest part of my property.

Rhino

/ 20% grade #30  
I used to farm a coutour stripped hill that the USDA had mapped at an average of 30% slope over the length of the hill which was about 1000 feet. Yes it was steep. No I didn't have any significant problems or accidents using typical hay and small grains equipment. A 20% grade is really no big deal if one uses common sense and pays attention.