20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator)

/ 20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator) #1  

tractorgp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Good to have a backup operator available.

/ 20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator) #2  
My wife has never driven my BX24, or the TG1860 in the last 15 years.
I noticed she just squeaks into your garage... height-wise. Have you modified/lowered your ROPS ?
Your garage door doesn't seem any higher than mine, and my ROPS is 3 inches too high for my opening. Both my ROPS and the upper door jamb have scars... :eek:

Pete

/ 20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator)
My wife has never driven my BX24, or the TG1860 in the last 15 years.
I noticed she just squeaks into your garage... height-wise. Have you modified/lowered your ROPS ?
Your garage door doesn't seem any higher than mine, and my ROPS is 3 inches too high for my opening. Both my ROPS and the upper door jamb have scars... :eek:

Pete

Yes Paul (4 shorts on tbn) shortened up the rops a couple of years ago. He has a video on the procedure somewhere.

/ 20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator) #4  
okay thanks... I've seen a lot of Paul's work on youtube.
Kinda wish I was close to him like you are, I have some ideas on mods that I just don't have the facility to implement myself.

Pete

/ 20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator) #5  
Nice to have a back up operator. Good video.
A few things I noticed:
1) You may need to put a bypass on the seat switch since the operator doesn't weigh enough and it cuts off with little movement or move the seat forward so she doesn't have to lean to reach controls. Much better to bypass the switch than to tell her to gain weight. Of course, telling her she doesn't weigh enough may get you some points.
2) When tractor stalls, she should also cut back on the throttle and not restart at PTO speed.
3) I always engage the PTO at slow RPM to reduce shock on the PTO drive line then bring up to speed.
4) Never leave the bucket up in the air when parked. Most loaders will sag over time and could crush anything left under it.
5) She should watch behind her as she's blowing. The vid shows her looking forward while backing up.
6) At least she's trying, mine wouldn't get anywhere near my tractor or a shovel.

Nice to have a back up operator. Good video.
A few things I noticed:
1) You may need to put a bypass on the seat switch since the operator doesn't weigh enough and it cuts off with little movement or move the seat forward so she doesn't have to lean to reach controls. Much better to bypass the switch than to tell her to gain weight. Of course, telling her she doesn't weigh enough may get you some points.
2) When tractor stalls, she should also cut back on the throttle and not restart at PTO speed.
3) I always engage the PTO at slow RPM to reduce shock on the PTO drive line then bring up to speed.
4) Never leave the bucket up in the air when parked. Most loaders will sag over time and could crush anything left under it.
5) She should watch behind her as she's blowing. The vid shows her looking forward while backing up.
6) At least she's trying, mine wouldn't get anywhere near my tractor or a shovel.

:) I've already loosened up the seat rust to slide it forward... used to do the same thing when one of my small grandsons was giving it a try (under total controlled supervision of course)...maybe I will put some weights in her parka pockets :)
Yeah I was surprised myself how smoothly the tractor was restarting with the throttle set so high but I know what you mean... same as for the pto... nothing felt out of place in terms of mechanical shocks with the high rpm when engaging the pto.
I'm always on the alert re bucket up in the air... most often it is set to come down on a piece of equipment that is under it. Other times I have an adjustable strut to keep it up to give me more space underneath. I also use this strut to keep the bucket up for extended periods when I am away... this is to keep the valuables hidden in the bucket out of view.
She is an excellent driver (spins my Tundra around anywhere with total confidence and control)... she was facing forward a lot of the time for this initial run to see my hand signals.
Oh yeah she's a trooper - she was anxious to give it a try and right after the lesson she asked for all my manuals on the snow blower and tractor. Already telling me the proper names of things :)

Here's my follow-up video of me (the teacher) clearing up the rest of the snow.

/ 20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator) #8  
You got a nice level area for her to practice and not much traffic . Tell her to be careful . My wife said she isn't getting on my tractor so I got no backup operator . Well she got a new shovel .

You got a nice level area for her to practice and not much traffic . Tell her to be careful . My wife said she isn't getting on my tractor so I got no backup operator . Well she got a new shovel .

Well I have sloped areas too but she won't be working there until she gets more practice. She is very safety conscious so that's a big moderating factor.

/ 20 min lesson on snow blowing with Kubota BX (new operator) #10  
My wife has said she will use the blower but not the blade. She doesn't want to use the blade so she doesn't tear up the grass. We don't usually get big enough snow dumps here on the Avalon to leave the blower on full time. But mine are all front mount attachments, which make things a little different to use.