Snow 20" Too Much Snow

/ 20" Too Much Snow
Kismolo I have a spare plate and will wait to find an old truck plow. It might be a while with this storm everybody is agin thinking snow. Does your plow have huyraulics? Here is the latest.

I was backing up to dump snow from bucket and all of a sudden the tractor would not stop going backward. Had to drop bucket and turn off tractor. Ufortunately I know the problem. I have removed the foot control valve and will take it apart tomorow. The root cause is the subject of another thread but there is debris in the hydraulic fluid and it finds its way to the foot control valve. I will try and post a full explanation in another thread after Christmas.

For now the snow will have to melt via the Sun and I am going to Lynchburg VA to see one of our Daughters and her family for Christmas.

/ 20" Too Much Snow
This may have been discussed in an older thread but I didn't find. Ken did you have to change much to get the hydraulics to work? Like connections, length of hose ect.

/ 20" Too Much Snow #24  
The existing hoses were long enough. I did switch over the disconnects to my flat face disconnects. One hose's cover is quite cracked and i need to make up a hose for that. If there is one near you, Tractor Supply has relatively inexpensive hoses when custom lengths are not needed as in this case.

I did look to see if i have any pictures of the plow setup but they are way out of focus for some reason.

Ken

/ 20" Too Much Snow
Ken I just got off the phone with Tire Chains Required and their ATV Super Stud seem to be the answer but I am concerned about the clearance. I think your 1850 and my 1430 have the same tire 26x12x12 and may have the same room between the tire and tub when you have just singles on. Did you have any problem? Tire Chains Required said I needed 1.5" to 2" and I measured something like 1" [I will go back out and measure twice]

Perhaps someone else has suggestions or comments on clearance.

/ 20" Too Much Snow
Measure twice cut once. If I measured correctly I have 1.5" from the side wall of the tire to the tub. I would suppect most of us have about the same. I plan on leaving the chains for at least the winter and if I wear off some paint I don't care but I do not want to cause damage. All comments are welcome.

/ 20" Too Much Snow
Measure twice cut once. If I measured correctly I have 1.5" from the side wall of the tire to the tub. I would suppect most of us have about the same. I plan on leaving the chains for at least the winter and if I wear off some paint I don't care but I do not want to cause damage. All comments are welcome.

/ 20" Too Much Snow #28  
If you go to my web page you can see pictures of my install including the clearance. It is tight but did not rub.

PT1850 Chains

Since i have dual capability, i often install them on the outside tires. But for singles, attach the inside side of the chain first, adjusting it so it does not rub (tight and reasonably high on the shoulder of the tire), then tighten the outside chain.

Ken

/ 20" Too Much Snow #29  
We have over 20" and 18 degrees. I went to the barn to start my 1430 and clear a path to the road so we could go to church tomorrow. The 1430 started great but when I started to come out of the barn the snow was so deep the undercarriage hung up and the tires started to spin. I guess we will stay home tomorrow unless someone has an idea how to handle really deep snow. One of the disadavantages of our PT is when a wheel spins we loose traction.
Having spent two days plowing 12-20 inch stuff with the 1845 (except when it was stuck), I have tried to decide if chains would have made things easier, My conclusion without trying chains is that they would have reduced side slide and crabbing with the blade angled, and probably would have prevented one time I got stuck where I crabbed over a bank and got high-centered. That one required some work with a 2240 John Deere with chains.
The other two times I got stuck, and once even had to use a (ugh) shovel, I managed to back into snow high enough to float the tub. Even the wiggle didn't get me out that once, but the other time I was able to turn back and forth and work downhill to an area I could move in. I doubt chains would have helped.
In Maryland, we seldom get this much and I was able to clear over a mile of road and 6 or 8 driveways without chains, so I'll probably not get them.
Now, can someone suggest why at the end of the day the machine wouldn't shut off? The lever on the side of the engine had to be pushed back manually to shut it down. I haven't checked, yet, to see if there's electricity to it. The starter switch shut everything else down, it was dark, and I was ready to watch a recorded Ravens game.:p

/ 20" Too Much Snow #30  
My studded chains make a huge difference in my ability to plow, providing traction and helping prevent the tractor from sliding sideways from the force against the angled plow. Without them, i am limited to plowing downhill if it is icy.

The tractor not shutting down - sounds like the fuel solenoid is stuck open or that there is something shorting at the switch providing power to the solenoid.

Ken