2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking #1  

Iminoverhead

Tractor
Branson 3510
I was moving 5 loads of dirt with box blade Saturday and noticed temp was higher than usual, just barely passed the halfway mark, but kept an eye on it. It wasn't long temp raised almost to first part of the red line but not into the red so I stopped tractor to let it cool and to investigate. What I found was what liquid coming from beneath radiator area and I could hear gurgling noises too. I popped hood and removed sides and carefully opened radiator cap to find it empty. I got some water and filled but was surprised when I saw a "carmel" colored froth coming out. When I started tractor with radiator cap off the "froth" got worse and immediately starting coming out, the overflow was full of it too. Well...I'm thinking head gasket or a crack internal. Any help would be appreciated.

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking #2  
Bummer.

Sure sounds like you are right. Assuming the tractor normally doesn't run that hot on the gauge, then on this day it does, not good.

Here's a test that will require a special tool. To check for that type of leak my Son uses a device that clamps onto the radiator fill tube. Has a hand pump to build pressure in the cooling system. Pump it up, remember how many PSI you read on the gauge, go off and leave it for an hour, come back and read the gauge. Shouldn't be any pressure loss. If your situation is bad enough you'll know when you start pumping because the gauge will immediately start falling. I can't remember what this system is called but you can buy them at O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores, as well as others I assume.

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking #3  
The froth is from the detergent in the oil, HUSTON you have a problem!
If the oil is still clear/not milky it's more than likely head gasket.
Oil pressure is higher than cooling system pressure so oil is getting into water.
How many hours?

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking
433 hours, the engine oil is black on the dip stick I haven't drained out any yet

I think I have a vac pump for bleeding brakes that I can make work...thanks, good info

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking #6  
If your cap is a pressure type cap, you can turn your air compressor regulator down to 10-15 psi (or just bleed the tank pressure down this far if you don't have a regulator) and then "inject" air into the overflow tube with a blow gun type air hose attachment. The pressure cap will act as a one way valve and the system should hold the pressure. I use this trick all the time when I replace a hard to get to water pump (such as a timing belt driven pump on a car engine). It lets me pressure test my work while it is still easy to access the water pump oring/gasket.

Where did the antifreeze go? Was it blowing white smoke? Is there antifreeze in your motor oil? Is this a hydrostatic transmission? If so, if there is a hydro oil cooler built into the radiator then you better check the hydro fluid for antifreeze contamination.

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking #7  
If your cap is a pressure type cap, you can turn your air compressor regulator down to 10-15 psi (or just bleed the tank pressure down this far if you don't have a regulator) and then "inject" air into the overflow tube with a blow gun type air hose attachment. The pressure cap will act as a one way valve and the system should hold the pressure. I use this trick all the time when I replace a hard to get to water pump (such as a timing belt driven pump on a car engine). It lets me pressure test my work while it is still easy to access the water pump oring/gasket.

Where did the antifreeze go? Was it blowing white smoke? Is there antifreeze in your motor oil? Is this a hydrostatic transmission? If so, if there is a hydro oil cooler built into the radiator then you better check the hydro fluid for antifreeze contamination.

very possible

Sorry for the late response, it seems Branson dealerships are "closing/stop selling" Branson brand around me so I had to take a road trip to drop off the tractor to get repaired. When I was at the dealer I asked where are the new tractors and I was told they too stopped selling Branson about two months ago but have to honor warranty and service for a while still. The mechanics came out of the shop to help unload and asked what was wrong, I said possible head gasket and they said they had three Branson head gasket jobs in the shop now. The man that wrote up the work order suggested that I "sell/get rid of" the tractor when or if fixed because "he would never own one based on his experiences with mechanical problems that he has seen in his 13 years at the dealership". I'm thankful for everyones response and help but now I'm considering buying a brand new Kubota L3901 once or if the Branson is repaired.

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking #9  
Hmmm. Bransons dealerships in Houston are closing/ stop selling the Branson Brand? The dealer has three Bransons in the shop with blown head gaskets? Wow, they must ship different Bransons to the Houston area than they do the rest of the world! I read this forum often, and this is the first Branson I have heard of with a blown head gasket, and it is on a 16 year old tractor! Sounds to me like someone in Houston has an agenda. Tell me, is this dealer deciding to selling Kubotas now?

/ 2002 Branson 3510 getting what appears to be oil in coolant...frothy looking #10  
I looked at your post history, Iminoverhead. It appears that you got the tractor a year ago as part of deal with your property. The tractor was probably abused by the previous owner(s). I can understand your frustration. And the dealer you took it to probably does have an agenda to bad mouth Branson. But believe me, Branson is not a bad brand. I don't blame you for getting rid of this particular Branson. Buying a Kubota is fine. They are good tractors too. Just make sure you check it out good if it is used.