Oil & Fuel 2002 TC33D won't start

/ 2002 TC33D won't start #1  

Bobby22

Tractor
New Holland TC33D
Hello all
Been having issues with my tractor not starting right away and I turn the steering wheel side to side and the engine would always start right up (Been like this since I got this tractor, I bought it used in December). Last week the tractor took longer then the normal 10 seconds to start had to crank it for about 20 sec wait 20 seconds again then it fired up. Then later that week it took about 2 mins to start and finally yesterday it took about 3 mins to finally start I used it for about 45 mins to cut the grass and then I parked it and now it just turns over and will not start. I checked the battery 12.62 volts then when cracking up in drops to 9.4 to 10.0. My friend suggested it was the battery not supplying enough juice so I hooked up my jumper cable to my truck and same results. (does turn over a little faster, but not starting) I checked to make sure I had fuel to the injectors at the bleed screw and I do. I just downloaded the service manual and it really does not give you step by step diagrams that I am used to in other manuals. Then I figured I would reach out to the community to see what else I could do. I am thinking about removing the glow plugs to test them but since I am not to familiar with diesel engines I thought I better ask some of you pro's before I start just tearing things apart. I also need to mention I did a purple stuff degrease of the engine but I can not remember if the problems came before this or after. I did check every fuse/relay and checked the wires looking for anything loose. Can you help a brother out????

/ 2002 TC33D won't start #2  
Bobby, it sounds like a fuel problem. Check the fuel solenoid by the injection pump by turning the key on/off several times to see if it clicks.
Something you say at the beginning of the post, I turn the steering wheel side to side and the engine would always start right up". That signal a harness problem in the steering column to me.

/ 2002 TC33D won't start
One of my friends said the need to turn the steering wheel is probably the hydro relief valve. I am not sure that is why I brought it up as well. I am trying to keep this work horse in top shape by fixing things little by little. I will check the fuel solenoid today, Thanks for the sugg

/ 2002 TC33D won't start
UPDATE
I think Tractor Tech is on to something here. I hooked up my truck again and my local guy shot carb cleaner in the intake and it fired right up. I did what my local guy said which was have the battery checked. (tested fine 2 different places). Then he said have your starter tested which ended up needing rebuild as the guy here said it was showing signs of low voltage. The starter guy mentioned to check the battery cables. (I did both are about 2 1/2 foot long and they tested 0.4 ohms. I got everything back in and the same problem no starting. Then I grabbed the can of carb cleaner and while it was trying to turn over I shot it down the intake and it fired right up. Shut it off and then about 30 seconds later I restarted without any issues and no need for carb cleaner. Then I ran it for about 10 mins and moved it around to be able to work on it without being rained on. shut it down and 5 mins later would not start again. So there is something with the fuel I am sure. Going to start looking in the manual for some answers.

/ 2002 TC33D won't start #5  
So the elec connection to the fuel solenoid. Did you try what tt said to hear the solenoid clicking? I seem to remember these tractors had key switch problems also - search for that or check the sticky at the top of these posts if it's still there. Jim

/ 2002 TC33D won't start
I can not hear anything when the engine is cranking over, I have stumbled across the thread about TC tractors not starting and I think I am going to have to perform this relay upgrade as well. I am no electrician so I am leery of messing with the wiring. The first day I got this tractor it would not start and a friend of mine told me to turn the steering wheel to relieve pressure from the hydraulic system and the tractor should start. I have been doing this from day one, maybe this is a part of the same problem. I will have to go by my local NAPA tomorrow.

/ 2002 TC33D won't start
Tractor tech
You are spot on. I went out today and tried to listen for the solenoid to click by just turning the key and heard nothing other then the glow plug light/sensor turn off. I tapped the solenoid like you had to do many years ago on Ford trucks to see it there was anything stuck. Still nothing, so I removed the wire going to the solenoid and when I did I heard some debris hit the metal pan I have under the tractor. I cleaned off the plug end and put it back turned the key to the first position and I heard the 2 clicks I think you were referring to. FIRED RIGHT UP!!!!! Thanks for the help.

/ 2002 TC33D won't start #8  
Glad I could be of help.