2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive?

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #1  

ruger438

Just bought a used 2004 trail gator. Been looking for a while and thought the only difference in the 4x4 was that in 2006 it got a electric 4x4 engagement vs the lever .

Got in a muddy situation, put it in 4x4 and locked the rear diff. an promptly found out only 1 front wheel spins. (both back wheels spun)

I thought all HPX's were true 4x4. Is there any way to lock the front differential?
I might get the welder out :eek:

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #2  
I don't know about Gator's or the other UTV's but I think that on ATV's only two or three brands have true four wheel drive. My wife's Honda Rancher 4X4 isn't true four while drive. My Polaris Sportsman 4X4 is. It makes a big difference. Most noticeable when pushing snow, pulling heavy loads on muddy ground, and riding on muddy slimy side hills.

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #3  
It is true. the 04-05 HPX is not true 4wd. In 06 along with electronic engagement it got the same hillard style clutch that Polaris uses. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. If you do alot of muddin you might want to think about a winch.

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #4  
just hold your foot down on the brake a bit and it will lockup both front wheels. i had a 04 for 5 years and i never missed the true 4 wheel drive . my rhino has true 4 wheel drive and i hardly ever use it when mudding. i mainly keep it in 4 wheel drive with the limited slip in the front. with the right tires and driver you can get through anything that a true 4 wheel drive can trust me i put mine in holes with the best of them. besides when you got the front locked you can break axles and cv's easier than if you just have the front unlocked because if one wheel binds up instead of snapping an axle it just transfers the power to the other wheel. but like i said in the beginning if you wanna lock the front just hold the brake down a bit and it will lockup the front.

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #5  
Just bought a used 2004 trail gator. Been looking for a while and thought the only difference in the 4x4 was that in 2006 it got a electric 4x4 engagement vs the lever .

Got in a muddy situation, put it in 4x4 and locked the rear diff. an promptly found out only 1 front wheel spins. (both back wheels spun)

I thought all HPX's were true 4x4. Is there any way to lock the front differential?
I might get the welder out :eek:

Correct...the '04 HPX isn't a "true" 4x4. I also have the '04 model but for my uses (no mudding) it hasn't ever been a problrem.

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #6  
just hold your foot down on the brake a bit and it will lockup both front wheels. i had a 04 for 5 years and i never missed the true 4 wheel drive . my rhino has true 4 wheel drive and i hardly ever use it when mudding. i mainly keep it in 4 wheel drive with the limited slip in the front. with the right tires and driver you can get through anything that a true 4 wheel drive can trust me i put mine in holes with the best of them. besides when you got the front locked you can break axles and cv's easier than if you just have the front unlocked because if one wheel binds up instead of snapping an axle it just transfers the power to the other wheel. but like i said in the beginning if you wanna lock the front just hold the brake down a bit and it will lockup the front.

This is not the same setup as a Polaris. Nothing has to be locked in for true four wheel drive on a Sportsman. No axles or cv's will break. The front and rear drives do not work against each other. It's an " On Demand All Wheel Drive". Any or all of the four wheels will automatically lock when it senses a 25% spin in any wheel. I leave mine in 4WD all the time. The front will free spool until it senses a 25% spin in one of the front tires. Then the front will turn in to a true locker.

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive?
THanks for the replies.

No I don't do mudding I was just playinng around, checking to see were I could really go. Its main jobs are feeding the steers, running for the combine ,tractor etc. My main concern is snow, so I guess I'll have to wait a few months and see what the gator does with that. I am hoping it does as well or better that my Polaris magnum 325 2x4 does in snow.

Guess I should have looked a little longer for a newer one but this 04 hpx only has 250 hrs and seems to be 100% and as new looking as the day it left the dealer. For $6200 I thought I'd try it.

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #8  
i'm saying that if you have the front locked it will break more stuff that if you don't have it locked.the front and rear workin against each other yhas nuthing to do with it . the part that is gonna breal something is if you have it in 4 wheel drive locked and you spin the tires and they suddenly bite !BAM! your gonna break something . the reason your gonna break something is the front is locked and can't send the force to the other wheel because both are locked up and will spin. with a limited slip front end if one tire binds up the force will be sent to the tire with the lease resistance. go to youtube and watch the mudding videos 99% of them have it in two wheel drive of like some call it 3 wheel drive but hardly any of them have the front locked.i use my locker to just mainly climb out of a ditch or to pull someone out of a hole. getting back to the hpx if you are ever in a bind and need the front to lockup just push down on the brake it will make the front end think it's in a bind and will send power to the tire that ain't spinning and then you will have a true 4 wheel drive now this method will run your brakes down faster but if you need to use it you will not worrie about the brakes beside the brakes on them gators will last darn near forever if you wash them after a good mudding.

/ 2004 HPX GAtor not true 4 wheel drive? #9  
you got as great machine there don't ever think it's not worthy. trust me i put my hpx in some deep mud holes i even had to lift up the enclosure intake and she always got through it . get you some 26"589's on her and you'll see a whole ne machine. i sold my 04 hpx with all the attachments for 3600,00 here's a few pictures of my old baby with the new aluminum fenders and stuff.

1004801ol2.jpg

cap0023hd1.png

1005530ga0.jpg

1005526at7.jpg

fendermd7.jpg

THanks for the replies.

No I don't do mudding I was just playinng around, checking to see were I could really go. Its main jobs are feeding the steers, running for the combine ,tractor etc. My main concern is snow, so I guess I'll have to wait a few months and see what the gator does with that. I am hoping it does as well or better that my Polaris magnum 325 2x4 does in snow.

Guess I should have looked a little longer for a newer one but this 04 hpx only has 250 hrs and seems to be 100% and as new looking as the day it left the dealer. For $6200 I thought I'd try it.