2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #11  
There were several changes, including the steering tilt lock, when the model 4x10's came out.
Here are the instructions for the 4400 (2 parts) same as Roy's link, and for the 4410 (3 parts). Quite different, as I see it.

I don't think he'll have to remove the entire mechanism to adjust the friction on the tilt steering lock. Do you have any pictures/pages of that? Or, how to remove the lever? That might be more of a help to the OP.

What I attached is all I have...

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #12  
I believe that the friction lever on the 4400 was changed to a detent or caul system, such as is shown in the op manual for the 4410 (first pic) and the 4400 lever (2nd pic)

Attachments

• 4410_adj_tilt.JPG
    4410_adj_tilt.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 584
  • 4300_tilt_adj.JPG
    4300_tilt_adj.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 577
   / 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem
Great info guys....will definitely be a project to get all fixed up. Thanks again!

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #14  
I believe that the friction lever on the 4400 was changed to a detent or caul system, such as is shown in the op manual for the 4410 (first pic) and the 4400 lever (2nd pic)

Yep, does look like quite a difference...

Johnny Popper...beenthere's attached some really good info, but I suggest you contact your local Deere service dept. They may have an easier way to adjust that lock. Otherwise, it looks like you're in for a lot of disassembly work.

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #15  
I hope the image is attached. If you look at parts 33 34 and 35, dirt could get in this where it travels on the shaft and stick. Also 33 mates with 29 (2 pieces) that are cast pot metal, and there are basically a gear teeth mechanism that when part 33 is raised, disengages and allows the wheel to move fore and aft. I found these teeth break. You may be able to remove the broken pieces and have it work - as I did.

to access this, remove the fuse box and starter switch covers, remove 4 allen bolts from the plate surrounding the power steering unit (4 hoses attached) remove the wheel, and unplug all wires to the dash panel. Remove it to see the affected area. You can call me at 209-742-4655 if you need more help. - Troy

Attachments

• MP31733________UN15MAY03.gif
    MP31733________UN15MAY03.gif
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,612
Thanks for all the replies. Basically, nothing sticks at all. The issue is that you can't lock the column in place at all. The lever (37-in the diagram), is completely solid, it will not move or budge at all, in any direction. From the sound of things it sounds like its a compete pain in the rear to get the thing taken apart, so might have to stay that way.

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #17  
Wouldn't stay that way if it were mine...:)

Go for it!

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #18  
It was a pain, but once I got smart and took the PROPER screws out, it got easier. If that wont move then I suspect dirt on the spring loaded column bushing. It can be fixed, and probably for free. You will need some patience, tho.

Troy

Well just wanted to do an update...I grew a pair over night and took the **** thing apart and it was a lot easier than I thought. The culprit was the latch and the two guides, all the teeth were busted off. I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone on here for the replies and tons of feedback.

Kevin

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #20  
We just purchased an '04 4410 and the tilt steering won't lock into place. I tried to get the steering wheel off but its splined and is a pain to get off. Any one have any suggestions? The lever that is supposed to slip in won't move or budge at all, and its annoying to have the steering wheel flop around while you're trying to drive.

Any help would be great!

Saw your post because I'm having the same issue. Did you find a PDF online that helped you?