Buying Advice 2004 Kubota L3130 or New?

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #1  

RB6

Tractor
none
Greetings, new to the forum and looking to get my first tractor. Whatever I get will be used for some food plots, road & ditch maintenance, trail work, etc. If I'm honest, I'm guessing 30-50 hours of use a year. I decided that 4WD, HST or similar, FEL and hoe were all must haves, and I've been shopping a bit. There is a guy selling a 2004 Kubota L3130HST with 770 hours, 4wd with BH90 and LA723 loader. The R4s are in good shape and filled by a dealer with 'no rust' juice. Owner states the tractor was always garaged, dealer serviced and he's asking $17,500. I have limited time away from work and family and I am concerned about the time and resources repairs might require. However, a similar machine new with a hoe will run me $30k +. I guess I'm looking for advice on whether this is a good price on the L3130 and what are the odds I'm going to end up sinking weekends and $$$ into repairs, wishing I'd just sucked it up and bought a new tractor? Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #2  
I really don't know current prices, but a couple of years ago, I traded my 2003 L5030 with 1500 hours on it in on my L5740 to avoid the L60 Series and never had a repair. I bought it used with 735 hours and was happy to get such a low hour machine. It was sold before it was even put on the lot, I talked to the farmer who was passing through, saw it and bought it. He was happy to get such a low hour machine in good shape with all service records. The L30 doesn't have the HST+ of the L40 or L60, but they are a LOT cheaper and are dependable tractors that are easy to service.

It sounds as though a good usedtractor will serve you well whether it's this one or another.

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New?
Thanks TripleR. It sounds like you don't think there are inherent issues with the age/hours that will set me up for headaches. If it were not the added cost of a hoe on a new unit I might go that way, but with hoe it puts me out of my easy financial comfort zone. Could do it but....
Any other thoughts out there? Taking any advice I can get! Thanks.

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #4  
Greetings, new to the forum and looking to get my first tractor. Whatever I get will be used for some food plots, road & ditch maintenance, trail work, etc. If I'm honest, I'm guessing 30-50 hours of use a year. I decided that 4WD, HST or similar, FEL and hoe were all must haves, and I've been shopping a bit. There is a guy selling a 2004 Kubota L3130HST with 770 hours, 4wd with BH90 and LA723 loader. The R4s are in good shape and filled by a dealer with 'no rust' juice. Owner states the tractor was always garaged, dealer serviced and he's asking $17,500. I have limited time away from work and family and I am concerned about the time and resources repairs might require. However, a similar machine new with a hoe will run me $30k +. I guess I'm looking for advice on whether this is a good price on the L3130 and what are the odds I'm going to end up sinking weekends and $$$ into repairs, wishing I'd just sucked it up and bought a new tractor? Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

If it's in good condition, that's a great price for that kind of setup. Your $30k estimate for an equivalent new Kubota +FEL+ BH is light by $ 10k or thereabouts. The hours are indicative of light usage and such a tractor shouldn't get to being unreliable for many years, if ever. But it all comes down to how it was used and how it was maintained. Any machine can be worn or damaged through misuse or poor maintenance. If a thorough inspection and test run check out ok, that should be a good workhorse machine.

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #5  
I had a L3130(2004 model),with-out a BH;it was a great tractor.Did everything I asked of it,I only traded up to get a cab.
That is low hours for the year(I have 900hrs on a 2008),if the service was done as recommended I would purchase in a heart beat.

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #6  
Greetings, new to the forum and looking to get my first tractor. Whatever I get will be used for some food plots, road & ditch maintenance, trail work, etc. If I'm honest, I'm guessing 30-50 hours of use a year. I decided that 4WD, HST or similar, FEL and hoe were all must haves, and I've been shopping a bit. There is a guy selling a 2004 Kubota L3130HST with 770 hours, 4wd with BH90 and LA723 loader. The R4s are in good shape and filled by a dealer with 'no rust' juice. Owner states the tractor was always garaged, dealer serviced and he's asking $17,500.
The 3130 w/723 loader and Bh 90 backhoe is a really nice setup.
770 is very low hours for the year.
Defiantly worth looking into if it was well maintained

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #7  
I would certainly recommend going used if this is your first tractor?

The price seems pretty good for the northeast considering it has a backhoe. Without the backhoe, I would expect that tractor to be in the 14k-15k range.

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New?
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Took the plunge and bought the '04 L3130. The only issue I could find was the front right axel had gasket work years ago for a what he said was a leak. Hopefully there aren't any issues to be discovered! The gent that sold it had it dealer service April 2013 and because of ailments has only put 7 hours on it in the last two years, yet she's beautifully greased up and drives like a charm. Now on the prowl for implements! (any source suggestions for a disc and cultipacker?)
Again, thanks for the terrific forum and the comments.

Attachments

• Kubuta_resized_1.jpg
    Kubuta_resized_1.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 800
   / 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #9  
I think you made a wise choice.
The tractor looks to be in great condition.
The 3130 is a very nice/solid machine and it should last you many years

/ 2004 Kubota L3130 or New? #10  
Looks great. Congrats on the new tractor :thumbsup: