2005 CX Gator Carb Adjustment?

/ 2005 CX Gator Carb Adjustment? #1  

wmgeorge

Silver Member
Tractor
JD650
So now I find out the 2004 is really a 2005 model. Anyway the question. It starts with just the choke on for a second and then I push it in. Let idle for a maybe 30 seconds and go. This is the used Gator with 146 hours, I purchased a couple months ago.

It always seems to be running rich, smells that way anyway. When I pulled the plug it was tending toward black. It looks like no adjustments unless I either drill or punch out a disk. Am I wasting my time even looking?

I think it needs the idle mixture turned in a 1/4 - 1/2 turn or so....:confused:

/ 2005 CX Gator Carb Adjustment? #2  
Here is the only adjustment for the mixture. There is a little led screw on the carb. It is the mixture screw and it allows for minor adjustment. You can turn it clockwise till it comes up against the stop. I would also check for any resrictions in the intake ie.. air filter or the restictor that attaches to the intake of the filter. Be carefull with that adjustment screw if you turn it too hard it will off and you won't be able to turn it. Don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:

/ 2005 CX Gator Carb Adjustment? #3  
So now I find out the 2004 is really a 2005 model. Anyway the question. It starts with just the choke on for a second and then I push it in. Let idle for a maybe 30 seconds and go. This is the used Gator with 146 hours, I purchased a couple months ago.

It always seems to be running rich, smells that way anyway. When I pulled the plug it was tending toward black. It looks like no adjustments unless I either drill or punch out a disk. Am I wasting my time even looking?

I think it needs the idle mixture turned in a 1/4 - 1/2 turn or so....:confused:

I sold my Gator due to that crap. Always had to choke it, had to warm up, etc.

I always have to choke my Miller Bobcat welder, but I could not live with it on the Gator.

JD swapped a bunch of carburetors.

D.