2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem
Please consider keeping us posted on your progress.

While I might be reaching, here are some other things you may want to consider have you opened the drain value on the bottom of the fuel tank to see, if any sediment comes out you may have got some junk in your fuel tank. Also looking at JDparts.com there is a strainer back by the fuel tank that may have got plugged up. Behind the SMV sign there is a vent elbow fitting and hose, maybe the tank is not venting, could just take the cap for now. This could be what caused the initial problem.

If it turns out you need to replace your fuel times JDparts.com has different part numbers for the fuel lines, so you tractor fuel lines (supply and return) could be of different sizes as it is on my tractor.

I'll let you know what I find. A mechanic at the local JD store told me the cheap rubber line they use has been known to allow air in while not even having a damp spot where it leaks. I am about to test this line.

Dadblame sick grandkids is holding me up on this project.

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #12  
One caution, don't use starting fluid/ether; it can/will cause many more problems than it will ever solve. If you're purging air you have no fuel flow from the tank. You need to start at the tank and find the blockage or leak which is allowing air and no fuel to get to the IP and therefore no fuel to the injectors. Do any of the pumps on the tractor have diaphragms? If so, one may have a puncture/rupture. If so, you will not suck fuel, but you could suck air.

I give up. I inspected and tested every individual part from tank to pump. Nothing leaks. I got pure diesel coming out of the line where it connects to the pump BUT I still have air coming out of the bleeds on the pump. Less than 6" from pump suction to the three different bleed points. I'd pull my hair out .... if I had any. I have a diesel mechanic coming to look at it Friday.

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #14  
I hope the grandchildren are feeling better.

Did you take of the top of the priming pump/the hand primer and see what it looks like in their?

Yes, I've had it apart 3 times. No problems found. It works great. Never any air in that area either.

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #16  
Plan D. How about just closing up all the bleeding screws/lines and just one at a time bleed it at the injector. See bottom half of attachment.

The attachment was taken from JD manual ctm125

Attachments

• injectorbleeding.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 270
   / 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #17  
Check all your rubber fuel hoses and see if any are cracked. I have the same tractor and the rubber hoses all rotted the 2nd year. I replaced them with Gates heavy duty fuel hoses. Also beware that the fuel sender connector on the bottom of the tank can get damaged when cutting heavy brush, that happened to mine last year.

I FOUND IT!!!!!!! :dance1::dance1: The gasket on the fuel filter/water separator was missing. I believe it was never there. The fit is pretty tight. I was working in a clean shop and the only one working on it. I put a filter, primed the system, and it started easily. All is right with the world again!

Thanks for the input everybody.