2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use???

/ 2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use??? #1  

699skidoo

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat
Hey guys

I have a 2005 Toolcat5600 with high flow. I have a bobcat brushcat (twin motor) attachment that when I use it after about the first 30 minutes it loses power. The hydraulic fittings are super hot to the touch. I also have a bobcat snowblower attachment and when I use that (in the cold weather of course) no significant lose of power and the fittings are cool to the touch. I have made sure the cooler/radiator is clear of dirt and obstructions. The temp gauge of the unit itself is always running cool and normal with whichever attachment I'm using. What would be causing the loss of power on the brushcat and very hot Hydraulic fluid versus in the winter with no issues on the snowblower? Anyone else experience this issue?

/ 2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use??? #2  
How hot is too hot? You need to check the temp with an IR thermometer not by feel. Feel means nothing. Most hydraulic fluid is good to 200 degrees plus.

/ 2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use???
How hot is too hot? You need to check the temp with an IR thermometer not by feel. Feel means nothing. Most hydraulic fluid is good to 200 degrees plus.
I will check that next time I use it. Good idea I have an IR thermometer. I am assuming the fluid is getting too hot though, since I lose power with the brush cutter. No power loss with the snowblower and fittings are cool to the touch???

/ 2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use??? #5  
check the radiator is not full of dust and cuttings, when mowing mine gets lots od debris and needs washing out regulary

check the radiator is not full of dust and cuttings, when mowing mine gets lots od debris and needs washing out regulary
I believe I have eliminated that as the cause and have cleaned it very well.

/ 2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use??? #7  
Agree...to check to see if the radiator is clear, shine a light through the fin area. It should be very clean of dust buildup that would block airflow. Be sure to look at the corner areas too. The 5600 is more prone to dust in the cooler as it hangs much closer to the ground than the 5610 model. Is your fan turning on once it warms up (about 5-10 min)? I do notice the fittings get a bit warm on my finish mower on hot days too.

Agree...to check to see if the radiator is clear, shine a light through the fin area. It should be very clean of dust buildup that would block airflow. Be sure to look at the corner areas too. The 5600 is more prone to dust in the cooler as it hangs much closer to the ground than the 5610 model. Is your fan turning on once it warms up (about 5-10 min)? I do notice the fittings get a bit warm on my finish mower on hot days too.
I will double check with a light. I believe the fan is working as it should it does come on and my temp gauge never gets super hot. If the radiator was clogged wouldn't my gauge on the dash indicate its overheating?

/ 2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use??? #9  
I will double check with a light. I believe the fan is working as it should it does come on and my temp gauge never gets super hot. If the radiator was clogged wouldn't my gauge on the dash indicate its overheating?
You have a point but it is worth checking anyways.

/ 2005 Toolcat 5600 Hydraulic fluid getting very hot with attachment use??? #10  
after using the bush mower or the finish mower I clean the radiator with water, sometimes its clear tohers its got a light covering, even with 50% clogged it will likely still run withing range but its not cooling as it should, also if cutting grass check the radiator for the AC on the side, that crap gets into everywhere air is flowing