2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #1  

perdurabo

I know there are lots of older threads about Kioti vs. Kubota, but there are a fair number of new variables to consider here.

I've been searching around for awhile for a decent price on a ~30HP 4x4 tractor package with loader, box blade and shredder. Ive got 23 acres in central Texas with a lot of scrubby small mesquite, cedar elm and yaupon that I need to have shredded, sprayed and controlled regularly to keep it usable (most <3" diameter, I plan to use a brush grubber to pull out the 3"-5" trees and rent a dozer one day for the big stuff that has to come out). I will need to use the loader fairly often for spreading road base and piling up the berm on my private rifle range. I'll need to use the box blade to keep my roads graded. A backhoe would be nice but the price on those is simply unjustifiable right now. I'd REALLY prefer to have an HST over a geared tractor as it makes loader work easier and to be honest as a novice I found that driving the geared tractor Ive tested somewhat confusing and difficult to operate whereas the HST tractor seemed to be much more intuitive to operate. You can make of that what you will but thats my personal preference until Im convinced otherwise.

Anyway, I was hoping to find a nice used tractor on craigslist, etc as the economy has gotten worse and desperate people are shedding relative luxury items for much cheaper than they were up until recently. I've got a significant amount of cash to put down on a used tractor but not enough to fully cover a brand new one. I then discovered that as of recently many of the tractor manufacturers are doing 0% financing for as much as 60 months on new tractors. This sounds quite tempting as a new tractor with a warranty and with no penalty to financing might be preferrable in the long run. So I decided that I would check out the major makers who have local dealerships.

Of the major tractor manufacturers, I have reputable local dealers of: Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti, New Holland and John Deere. I eliminated John Deere right off the bat as I know their pricing simply cannot be competitive and I eliminated Mahindra and New Holland as they can only offer 0% for 60 months on geared tractors in the 30HP range, not HST. The local Kubota dealership has the lions share of the local compact tractor market and carries quite a large stock. I went to them first looking for a deal on a used tractor but of course the salesman tried to talk me into a new tractor.. and I must admit I was tempted. Here is the package quote they offered me:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

L2800HST-F 29hp Diesel Tractor, 4wd, hydro. $11,708.39
LA463FL Kubota 60" FEL $3,416.61
160 - 5' Rhino 160 5' Shredder w/slip clutch $1,255.00
BB5 Armstrong Ag 5' Box Blade $495.00
Doc/UCC/Prep Fee $125.00
Free delivery to my site $0
Down Payment -$2,550.00
Total $14,450.00
Payments 0.00%/60mo $240.83/mo

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I like that they offer local implements instead of cheap Chinese Howse implements, but the pricing on the shredder seems pretty high to me, however the tractor package seems pretty good. Keep in mnd this is a 2008 L2800 not the new 2009 "Xtra Power" model. This dealer has a lot of last years stock on the lot so hes able to quote at last years prices. I test drove the L2800 and liked the HST drive and the control layout.

From reading older posts on this board I have gleaned that Kioti offers a more fully featured, heavier, and better arranged tractor than Kubota at a lower price, so I contacted the local Kioti dealer and got a quote on the comparable CK30HST. Well, when I got the quote back, I was shocked. Apparently Kioti raised their prices significantly as of Oct 1 and the dealer I spoke to had sold all of their 2008 models and could only order the much more expensive 2009s. Here's the Kioti quote:

-------------------------------------------------------

2009 model Kioti CK30hst Ag w/KL130P front loader $18,499
2008 model Rhino 160 w/slipclutch and chains $ 1,595
2008 model Armstrong Ag Box blade w/rippers $ 450
Free Delivery $ 0
Total Price $20,544.00
Discount (whatever that means) -$744.00
Package price $19,800.00
0% for 60 months w/2000 down $297.00/mo

----------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, Kioti can no longer really claim to offer their better product at a lower price than Kubota. I haven't test driven the Kioti yet but frm the research Ive done, it has a lt of very desirable features such as the telescoping hitch arms and a heavier chassis. Once again, the shredder price seems out of line. Even tough its local American made, I don't see why what is considered to be a light duty shredder should cost more than maybe $750 or so. I called another Kioti dealer in San Antonio, and they did offer me a 2008 CK30HST but the salesman seemed really sketchy, they would not offer me free delivery (I have a 3/4 ton truck, but don't own a flatbed trailer, dont want to buy one right now and don't want the hassle of renting one) and they seemed uninterested in working up a "apples to apples" comparison quote relative to the Kubota quote. Maybe they thought I was not a worthwhile customer or I wasn't worth the small commission. Anyway, this is what passes for a "quote" they sent me:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CK30hst Kioti Package:
2008 30hp Kioti four wheel drive tractor with three range hydrostatic transmission, ag style tires, KL130 Kioti front end loader with 60 inch bucket, 5 foot brush hog/shredder(upgrade Landpride Shredder w/clutch), and a 5 foot box blade with ripper shanks(upgrade Landpride) with upgrade - Landpride quick hitch, and canopy top.

Special Package Price $19,195.00
Down payment $3000
0%/60mo $269.91/mo

-----------------------------------------------------------

This "package" sounds like a decent price but they were somewhat difficult to work with and they haven't yet responded to my request to break out each item in the quote so i can know what their pricing on each is. Im not so sure I really need the canopy or the quick hitch, though that might be nice. If I do buy from these guys Im fairly sure I can get it warranty repaired at the much closer dealer #2 above, but something about the way these guys are making it difficult to get a quote or talk t me about my options is making me uncomfortable, despite their better price.

I plan to test drive the Kioti soon but I need to know what other factors I ought to consider. Both dealers #1 and #2 have a good reputation. Dealer #3 all I know is that they are the next closest Kioti dealer and can get me a cheaper 2008 CK30HST (ostensibly, we'll see once they send me a broken-ut quote - if they ever bother). I know that the criticism of the Kioti's KL130 loader having a problem with cracking is now moot as they have corrected that problem since the 2007 models. What other problems/concerns/considerations should I be aware of in the CK30HST given what I plan on using it for? What about the Kubota L2800HST? What kind of performance difference should I notice between them with regard to shredding, grading, and light dirt work? Should I consider just buying used implements elsewhere for cash? What would be he absolute optimal shredder and box blade implement brand/model choice for either the L2800HST or CK30HST, taking price into account as well as quality?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST
Turns out there's a small Montana tractor dealer nearby as well. Montana also has a 0% for 60 months financing special. I got a quote on an R2844HST from them:

Montana R2844hst w/loader after rebates $16150
5' Montana shredder (no slip clutch) $800
6' woods box blade $600
Free delivery $0
Down payment -$2500
Total $15050
0%/60 mo $250.83/mo

That still doesnt beat the Kubota dealer but gives me another data point to look at. The Montana has the two-pedal HST like John Deere rather than the rocker pedal used by Kubota and Kioti, I havent used that before so I dont know whether thats a better feature or not. Opinions on Montana tractors seem to be sparse around here.

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #3  
Well I can not give you much on anything but what I own which is the L2800HST and that is a mighty fine piece of equipment. I have bout 210 hours on mine without a problem. I am sure the other two are good, but the L2800 is great as far as I am concerned.

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #4  
Sounds like the quotes come in about even. So your next step is to get your butt into the seats and try them out. Get a feel for backing up to an implement, working the loader and even loading a truck. I tried the L2800 HST and had my truck with me. So I pulled to the side with the tractor to simulate loading material into the bed with side boards, which my current 770 cannot do (to short). Couple things just to consider:

-A canopy is a great addition! Keeps the sun and rain off of you and allows you to operate the tractor much longer without turning into a raisin.

-A quick attach bucket will alow you to use forks and different buckets with your tractor. Its an absolute must on my next machine.

-A quick hitch for the three point hitch would be great for attaching rear implements. Its not top on my list, but I'm still relatively young and don't mind muscling things around.

-Tires are always a big discussion around here. Mine are the worst from my application. I have turfs, yet never travel on lawns or pavement. I would really like the stability and durability of R4s, as I don't need the super aggressive R1 ag tires. Mostly I need stability and puncture resistance. Try to guage what you'll need for tires by your application. For loader work and brush hogging, R4s and R1s will both work well for you.

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #5  
i think the main reason for the substantial increase in 2009 tractor prices compared to 2008 is due to the rising cost of steel. i know it was going to be a 5% increase very soon on the model tractor i bought recently. as for the suprising costs of the light duty mowers you looked at, all i can say is that unless you get a CHEAP one, the prices you were quoted seem to be in order. Rhino is a good brand and make a quality mower so you're going to pay a little more then you would for any other brand alot of people aren't familiar with. i paid $2,200 for an MX6(JD's medium duty).

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST
Do the "industrial" R4 tires actually have more puncture resistance than the R1 agricultural tires? I thought the difference between ag, turf, and industrial tires was just a matter of tread aggressiveness, not tire thickness. Out where I am I have a lot of loose sandy soil, but I also have a huge overabundance of thorny mesquite trees that will almost certainly puncture my tires eventually. I figured ag tires would be best since they have a taller tread and get better traction in sand.. or is that not the case?

Whats the best puncture seal product to put in your tires to help with mesquite thorn punctures?

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #7  
I'm not sure of the ply rating between Ags and industrials, but the tread blocks are bigger and wider on the industrials, which to me, puts more rubber between the air inside the tire and the sharp objects on the ground.

Not sure about the tire choices for sand. The R4 might float on the top, but the R1 would give you that paddle tire effect.

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #8  
I have a Kioti and it's a fine tractor but considering the better resale value of a Kabota I'd go with it.

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #9  
I do not want to start another tire "war" :eek:. But a tire's ply rating has alot to do with it's load carrying capacity with FEL operation, I am not sure if ply rating applies to puncture resistance as well. I have a higher ply rating than is usual for my R-1's. Jay

/ 2008 Kubota L2800HST vs. 2009 Kioti CK30HST #10  
Simple answer - buy the kubota.

Then simply spend the next 20-50 years operating it with no worries.

jb