2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment

/ 2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment
EDITED: I applied brake and locked down, tractor doesn't move in neutral, so its holding. Return spring isn't broken...

I've checked every bushing, spring, any obstructions etc and find nothing. I jacked up back of tractor and manually rotated tires, (with transmission in high, low and neutral) and pushed on the brake pedal. Nothing, didn't make any difference. So I'm thinking brake disc or another one of the rear axle components from service manual: Rear Axle Case, RH and Brake

1. Internal Cir-clip
  2. Brake Cam Lever
  3. External Cir-clip
  4. Steel Ball
  5. Actuator
  6. Brake Disc
  7. Friction Plate
  8. Bearing Holder
  9. Shim

Is my logic sound? I've called the Kubota dealer for a quote on repair assuming I'm right....

Last edited:
   / 2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment
Here's the culprit, the bushings that brake rod goes through, one on right side is seized, won't loosen. Torch and heat next to break free. They should put grease fittings here. Left side fitting was fine, shown off in the pic below.

IMG_1957.jpeg
IMG_1958.jpeg
IMG_1960.jpeg

/ 2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment #13  
I had this happen about once a year on my old L185DT. The thing that freed it up was a bit of lubricant in that exact spot, where the shaft passes through the case into the brake housing. It would seize up more if I didn't use the tractor for several weeks during the winter, but after a week or so of regular use after lubricant application during the spring would free it up for the year.

Glad you verified the bushing was your problem!

/ 2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment #14  
Thanks for posting this about your BX2660, next time I am under mine this week I plan on finding and lubricating those bushings !!

/ 2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment #15  
Glad you found it. I was about to suggest separating the linkage to see if the pedal returned on its own or not but you beat me to it. So...are you gonna drill and tap a grease fitting in there before you reassemble???

Glad you found it. I was about to suggest separating the linkage to see if the pedal returned on its own or not but you beat me to it. So...are you gonna drill and tap a grease fitting in there before you reassemble???
I am thinking seriously about that, but it would be a tight fit.

I had this happen about once a year on my old L185DT. The thing that freed it up was a bit of lubricant in that exact spot, where the shaft passes through the case into the brake housing. It would seize up more if I didn't use the tractor for several weeks during the winter, but after a week or so of regular use after lubricant application during the spring would free it up for the year.

Glad you verified the bushing was your problem!
I sprayed all kinds of lubricant in there working the arm back in forth. BUT, I had never before even thought about it, but will from now on or see if I can get a grease fitting in there.

/ 2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment #19  
Something I was going to write but it got fixed first was to always go with the easiest answer first. Never assume a solution is complex or difficult until the simple solutions have been thoroughly exhausted. That's usually where the answer is.

Over the years I have see guys starting to take carbs and intake manifolds off engines when they were only out of fuel. Or a steering gear partly taken off an F600 farm truck when the problem was gunk in the power steering pump.

There's actually a name for the principle of going with the easy answer first. It's Occam's Razor...

Just an FYI as we approach problems down the road.

/ 2009 BX 2660 traveling/parking brake won't spring back without manual adjustment #20  
Had same problem with my Kubota. Grease the brake petal zerk to keep it lubricated and exercise the brake peddle until it frees up. It will take awhile but will eventually return to normal operation.