2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice

/ 2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice #11  
The diverter kit allows you to control the rear hydraulics using your joystick as if you would normally with the loader. The 3rd electrohydraulic kit is its own set of lines, controlled electronically by a up/down switch mounted on the left side of the joystick. I prefer the 3rd SCV myself.

I do kinda agree dropping down to the 4520 to save ya some green, but realize the 4720 comes standard with the air seat from the factory as the 4520 has the mechanical seat. It's better to get everything right now while you can since it's on the financing deal. If you have a lot of loader work to do, I do recommend the R4s. The owner's manual says they will hold more weight (less squishing under load), but turf tires will ride better.

I do like the factory stereo with Ipod hookup! Really nice radio & great sound quality & heavy duty.

/ 2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice
The diverter kit allows you to control the rear hydraulics using your joystick as if you would normally with the loader. The 3rd electrohydraulic kit is its own set of lines, controlled electronically by a up/down switch mounted on the left side of the joystick. I prefer the 3rd SCV myself.

I do kinda agree dropping down to the 4520 to save ya some green, but realize the 4720 comes standard with the air seat from the factory as the 4520 has the mechanical seat. It's better to get everything right now while you can since it's on the financing deal. If you have a lot of loader work to do, I do recommend the R4s. The owner's manual says they will hold more weight (less squishing under load), but turf tires will ride better.

I do like the factory stereo with Ipod hookup! Really nice radio & great sound quality & heavy duty.

I think I understand know. if you get the fourth and fifth set of scv do those have just a lever to control or can you switch the one you want to have control of on the Joy Stick. I want to be able to control the angle on my snowplow from the Joystick. If I have a Back blade on the back as well they must have individual levers for each set of scvs. Am I understanding this right?

Do you have the 540epto on your machine? What do you think of that option. Also, Do you like your front mud guards and HD front Grill guard?

Thanks for all your input. Just trying to make good decisions. They sure are expensive and I want to get it right the first time.

/ 2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice #13  
There is a push button switch on the top grip of the joystick that will toggle between front and rear circuits. There is also a small rocker switch to operate a front third fel circuit for instance open and closing a grappel Some setups such as my 110tlb also use this rocker switch to control the third valve on the rear. Normally on start up the diverter is controlling the fel with the joystick as default. If you turn on the auxilllary hydraulics with a rocker switch you can then use the push botton to switch back and forth between the front and back circuits with just a click. With this feature and say topntilt your joystick and rear outlets can be set up where moving the joystick forwards will retrack the top link which in turn tilts the implement forwards or pull back on the joystick and lean the implement backwards. Same for the tilt, lean the joystick to the left and the implement leans left and so on. Very intuitive when using a boxblade. The rocker switch I use to raise and lower the scarifiers on my boxblade. Obviously you can have different implements with various cylinders such as shoot control left and right and hydraulic blade angling whatever.

Some of the newer tractors have simple electric switches for remotes on the side console too.

Hope this gives you an idea as to how the diverters work.

/ 2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice #14  
Bought my 2007 4720 with 200+ hours on it in January. After getting tired of being helpless in the mud everytime we had a bit of a thaw, I got rid of the r-3's and went to R-4's. If mowing a groomed lawn is not a high priority I would go with the 4's. Nothing like traction!

As for rear hyd., I have one, but more would be nice. thinking about a hyd top link for my box blade but then again would be nice to be able to drop the side link too. Case in point, I've been doing millings on my drivewasy this past week and borrowed a buddy's big Landpride power rake. It has power angling which takes care of my one rear valve. Pain in the but adjusting that draft link with that very heavy rake on.

Oh-did you include the grill guard??

Thanks for posting

I have included the HD Grill guard.

I have a power rake that angles as well and think i should get the additional scvs for versatility later.

I plow snow with a 8" western snow plow power angle on my John Deere 4300 and the turfs do fine. My yard is nice so want to be able to drive on it without making lastings marks on it. Still struggling with the tire issue. Two sets would be nice.

/ 2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice #16  
trbpilot,
I am a little curious about selling the 6040M and replacing it with the 4720, could you shed some light on your thoughts?

I was waiting for someone to ask this question.

I have a John deere 4300 that I have put 3000 hours on maintaining about 25 acres. We have Horses so some barnyard cleaning and just general maintenance. I have a front snow plow that I plow my driveway as well as many others on our road. I also do some side landscaping jobs from time to time. Putting new yards in, spreading mulch, general cleanup. I have about 4 acres of Sweet corn I plant and harvest and need a tractor to work the ground. The 6040 works nice for this, where my 4300 is a little lacking in power. I think the 4720 will work the ground much better than my 4300. I have had the Kubota for about a year and it has 400 hours on it. The Gentleman i bought it from was moving and gave me a great deal. The tractor is great and one reason for the purchase was the cab. The 6040 is just more tractor than i need most of the time. I love the cab though. Im going to sell both tractors and buy and little smaller unit with a cab and hydro. I do miss the Hydro in the 6040. The 6040 is a great machine, but my wife doesn't think i need two tractors. in a perfect world i would keep the kubota and buy a smaller open station and have the best of both worlds, but I really don't want two tractors. I think the 4720 will do what i need it to do with one machine.

Opinions

/ 2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice #18  
I was waiting for someone to ask this question.

I have a John deere 4300 that I have put 3000 hours on maintaining about 25 acres. We have Horses so some barnyard cleaning and just general maintenance. I have a front snow plow that I plow my driveway as well as many others on our road. I also do some side landscaping jobs from time to time. Putting new yards in, spreading mulch, general cleanup. I have about 4 acres of Sweet corn I plant and harvest and need a tractor to work the ground. The 6040 works nice for this, where my 4300 is a little lacking in power. I think the 4720 will work the ground much better than my 4300. I have had the Kubota for about a year and it has 400 hours on it. The Gentleman i bought it from was moving and gave me a great deal. The tractor is great and one reason for the purchase was the cab. The 6040 is just more tractor than i need most of the time. I love the cab though. Im going to sell both tractors and buy and little smaller unit with a cab and hydro. I do miss the Hydro in the 6040. The 6040 is a great machine, but my wife doesn't think i need two tractors. in a perfect world i would keep the kubota and buy a smaller open station and have the best of both worlds, but I really don't want two tractors. I think the 4720 will do what i need it to do with one machine.

Opinions

If it makes you feel any better I use my 4520 cab for landscape work, that is its purpose along with the 110tlb and x749. I also have an 820 gear tractor in great shape I am threatening to sell and go with a 2720 with fel to replace it. I take it with three tractors and two riding mowers I would be on your wife's wrong list.:D I could get by with the 110tlb and the x749 but having different tractor setups for the different jobs I do is very handy.

I pulled the trigger on a New John Deere 4720 with Cab. Here are the options I got.

Deluxe Cab
eHydro with 540/540E pto
Turf Tires
400CX Loader/HD bucket with bolt on cutting edge
48in pallet forks
3rd selection control valve
Electric Diverter 4th and 5th SCVS
Telescoping draft links
Rear Fender flares
External Mirrors
Auto Style Cruis Load match, Speed match and upgraded Motion Match Switch
Horn
Deluxe Hood Guard
Rear Tires Loaded

Considering adding Top n Tilt from Fit Rite

Two dealers were very competitive for my business, final price was almost 18% off list with 0% financing for 60 months. This includes everything delivered to my home.

Thanks for all your replies and all the info on TBN has been very helpful

Im keeping my John Deere 4300 for smaller jobs that don't need a cab.

Thanks again, I will post some pics when it is delivered. Hopefully in about 4 weeks.

/ 2012 John Deere 4720 Price Check / advice #20  
If it makes you feel any better I use my 4520 cab for landscape work, that is its purpose along with the 110tlb and x749. I also have an 820 gear tractor in great shape I am threatening to sell and go with a 2720 with fel to replace it. I take it with three tractors and two riding mowers I would be on your wife's wrong list.:D I could get by with the 110tlb and the x749 but having different tractor setups for the different jobs I do is very handy.

Not HiJack, you use your three tractor commercial, meaning they produce income for you.