2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #21  
Not if it's rated that high, unless an RV, firetruck, or Farm truck in NY I believe, never heard if a boat but never looked. NY dropped it, but a few years ago they had a non-cdl class B that any vehicle rated over 18000 lbs , unless Farm, or firetruck had to have. I think you were suppose to have the non-cdl for an RV.

A few states like CA is the trailer is rated for over 10K lbs they want a CDL also. NY it has to be a combination of over 10K and a vehicle rated over 26k.

From the NY state site.

Ridiculous. So glad I live where I do.

Chris

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs
I really don't know for sure - maybe they will put in some kind of exemption for 1 ton trucks or require the cdl only if the truck is commercial licensed??

I'm guessing someone must have bought one of these 3500 2 wheel drive dually Cummins equipped Dodges by now?? My guess is so far purchasers have slipped through the cracks... but when they start uprating more of the different versions of the 3500's it will be to wide spread in sales to be ignored?? Or maybe they will just raise the # to 37,000lbs. ???:confused3:

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #23  
That Toyota P/U shuttle ad is misleading. That orbiter without payload and fuel weighs about 170,000 lb. The towing rig under the orbiter probably adds another 20,000 lb or so. We all have seen strongest man competitions where contestants pull a 200,000+ lb aircraft.

Not to mention the fact that the Toyota didn't even pull the shuttle. The rig under the orbiter provided the power, the Toy was just there for the commercial.

Pickup truck ratings are getting out of hand! That kind of weight belongs behind a heavier truck (IMO). Also, here in MO, IIRC, it's not what the truck is rated at, it's what it is licensed to haul/tow. If a truck is rated to haul 37k lbs (GCWR), but is only licensed for 6k, you can only have a total weight of 6k. Just don't get caught overweight!

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #24  
Not to mention the fact that the Toyota didn't even pull the shuttle. The rig under the orbiter provided the power, the Toy was just there for the commercial.

Pickup truck ratings are getting out of hand! That kind of weight belongs behind a heavier truck (IMO). Also, here in MO, IIRC, it's not what the truck is rated at, it's what it is licensed to haul/tow. If a truck is rated to haul 37k lbs (GCWR), but is only licensed for 6k, you can only have a total weight of 6k. Just don't get caught overweight!

While I think it was nothing more than a stunt, kind of like Ford's 1970s cinder block mountian. Not really all that important in the real world. But the fact is that the Tundra did pull the shuttle on it's own. The problem came about because the bridge that the Tundra pulled the shuttle across couldn't handle the weight of the vehicle that towed the shuttle and the shuttle together. While looking into solutions to the problem Toyota stepped forward.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #25  
Gotta love those old Ford commercials! :)

Yep, all those commercials are nothing more than stunts to sell vehicles.

And, I do apologize...the Tundra DID tow the shuttle as you mentioned. I did more research and found that to be the case. Though it was a short tow, it did tow it, contrary to everything I had heard prior.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #26  
Gotta love those old Ford commercials! :)

Yep, all those commercials are nothing more than stunts to sell vehicles.

And, I do apologize...the Tundra DID tow the shuttle as you mentioned. I did more research and found that to be the case. Though it was a short tow, it did tow it, contrary to everything I had heard prior.

Short and slow. Just enough for a 30 second commercial. Toyota does have some impressive Tundra commercials but the fact that I can remember the Ford one from so long ago (maybe it was the 80s) really says how good of an add it was, just not real world realistic.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #27  
Short and slow. Just enough for a 30 second commercial. Toyota does have some impressive Tundra commercials but the fact that I can remember the Ford one from so long ago (maybe it was the 80s) really says how good of an add it was, just not real world realistic.

Yeah, I was just a wee lad when those Ford ads came out (born in '76, the add above is from '85 it says), but I can still remember them chugging up that "mountain", hauling a Chevy and towing a Dodge!

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #28  
Yeah, I was just a wee lad when those Ford ads came out (born in '76, the add above is from '85 it says), but I can still remember them chugging up that "mountain", hauling a Chevy and towing a Dodge!

The fact that they were taking a new truck and pounding the h*** out of it was great. Back then you just didn't see that kind of thing.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #29  
I they were going to change the way the GCWR was rated. The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger but what is changing on the trucks for the bigger numbers?

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #30  
I they were going to change the way the GCWR was rated. The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger but what is changing on the trucks for the bigger numbers?

This is what I have been wondering. Engines have more power and transmissions probably better, but I find it hard to believe that the rearends are that much better than in the 90's and really back to the 70's. My '76 gmc had a 14 bolt rearend and I know they Dodge was using dana 80s in the 1990's. Aren't they still using these? Has there been some breakthrough in driveshaft/ u-joint technology? Are brakes really twice as good as they were 15 years ago?

I have pulled 12k behind my old Dodge ('96 2500 x-cab, 4x4 gas) and I was well beyond the factory rating, it handled it ok, but the engine sure was working. I really don't think I would like pulling 2-1/2 times that behind any pickup. I actually stopped and looked at an '02 Ram 3500 diesel. I checked the tow rating on it and because it was an auto it was actually rated about the same as my truck ~8500. That kind of surprised me. Is it really just the tranny/ engine holding back the rating on these older trucks? I know I have seen these with tandem dually trailers around here probably pushing 20k all of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.