2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #11  
Is this a Ford designed/built engine?

It is a Ford/ Peugot engine. It is a "Puma" engine. From what I found on wikipedia it is about 200hp.

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #12  
my wife has had 5 cylinder 2.4 liter volvo gas engines for 15 years now. the first was naturally aspirated and the current is turbocharged. they have been models of smoothness and quietness with decent power, reliability, and fuel economy. the turbo engine ate the head gasket at 165,000 miles, but other than that there has been no engine work other than standard maintenance on either car.

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #13  
Still not as smooth as a 4 cylinder or efficient either...
4 cylinder engines need counterrotating balancers because of the inbalance by design. 5's do not. My 2.5TDI runs smoother than any other similar sized diesel out on the streets. it just idles rougher as it is an early 90's distributor pump system. Only a BMW inline 6 diesel will run smoother, a Merc or VW V6 will run rougher.

About resonances, you get that with any machine if you swap the engine but dont check vibration levels. vibration dampening is an art of its own, just too bad some manufacturers threw in a 5 cylinder in their base models, without ever checking vibrations..

....But anyways, you guys will be getting the European Transit, just not the light version with front wheel drive and the 2.2 liter PSA diesel... Its a tried and tested vehicle, and Ford has taken the Transit giant leaps the past decade. Old ones were ratlly, rusty, poor handling ag tractors that were no comparison to Merc or VW, but now they are catching up.

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #14  
Here are some more details on the engine from a Ford site Advanced, Fuel-Efficient 3.2-Liter Power Stroke Turbo Diesel Makes North American Debut in All-New 2014 Ford Transit | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

"While power has not been certified for North America, the new diesel engine is rated in Europe at 197 horsepower and 347 lb.-ft. of torque. Like the larger 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 offered in Ford F-Series Super Duty trucks, the fuel system has been carefully tailored and calibrated for combustion efficiency. It enables the newest Power Stroke to achieve exceptional fuel economy ratings without affecting power levels.

The 3.2-liter turbo diesel features state-of-the-art piezoelectric fuel injectors fed through a high-pressure common rail fuel system, and advanced emissions technologies.

Precise injection timing and calibration also ensures a smooth combustion process to reduce hard diesel combustion clatter, resulting in lower noise levels that are more like a gasoline engine.Each injector nozzle has eight spray holes and can deliver up to five injections per combustion cycle. A pilot injection controls noise levels and a main injection is used for power generation.
Technical features of the new Power Stroke 3.2-liter include:

Quick-start glow plugs that enable smooth and fast startups at temperatures down to -10 degrees F
Durable, rigid sand-cast gray iron cylinder block
Aluminum cylinder head with double overhead cams and four valves per cylinder
Advanced common rail piezoelectric fuel injectors that deliver multiple injections per stroke to improve performance and reduce NVH; maximum fuel pressure is 26,100 psi
Variable nozzle turbocharger with electronic actuation; maximum impellor speed of 197,800 rpm
First application of selective catalytic reduction for reduced nitrogen oxide emissions in a Ford van
Integrated diesel oxidation catalyst and diesel particulate filter to save space
Expected to be B20 biodiesel compatible
Additionally, the engine features cast-aluminum, low-friction coated pistons with piston-cooling jets, which squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions. Also included is a water-cooled high-performance electric-controlled exhaust gas recirculation valve that is better able to withstand coolant pressure drops.

The 3.2-liter Power Stroke is one of several engines that will be available for Transit in North America, including the proven 3.5-liter EcoBoost® gasoline engine. All engines are mated to a Ford 6R80 six-speed automatic transmission.

With a flat torque plateau – 90 percent of its peak torque is available from 1,700 to 3,500 rpm, providing better engine flexibility – Transit will be able to effortlessly haul full loads in town and on the highway, while offering flexible performance across each gear in the six-speed automatic transmission."

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #15  
The Trailblazers have inline 6's not 5's...My mom has a 2002 TB it has not needed on mechanical repair beyond maintenance and cleaning the front ABS sensors. It runs strong for a straight 6. My neighbor has one as well and it is also trouble free.

My wife's 2006 H3 is a 5 cyl with 55k. The motor has never been touched. Runs like a clock...No race car, but it does ok..No rough running at idle or WOT.

Not sure about you repair/reliability statements. Is the anti-GM thing leaking out again?

No, just my observations. I also buy parts from the guy weekly. Going over today to get some oil filers and fuel hose for 3 customers mowers. I have seen him pull a few engines. I remember the drive shaft actually runs through the oil pan.

There is also a tanny shop on the same block so I chat with that guy also. He helped me put a Jasper in my Ram that also failed but the Jasper we put in the Dakota shop truck did just fine.

Chris

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #16  
There is nothing wrong the 4.2 inline six in the Trailblazers/Envoy. It is easily a 300k mile engine. Very smooth and quiet running. We had one in a Trailblazer EXT. We only had 36k on when we traded because we wanted the bigger Suburban. My sister has a 2002 with 150k on it. No engine problems other than a water pump. Now she did lose a tranny this past summer but this is do to lack of maintenance and abuse by the guy she used to live with abusing it. Water pump and fan clutch are about the only issues you will hear out of this engine. When I was on the Trailblazer forums you heard of very few engines problems. Some electrical gremlins and the occaisional 4L60e issues, but other than that a good vehicle.

Yes, the front axles shafts run through the oil pan.

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #17  
I previously owned several GMs and found the 4.2 I6 and 5.7 V8 engines to be smooth and reliable. GM didn't like to purpose-build engines, though and the 4.3 V6 was the 5.7 V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off. The I5 is the 4.2 I6 with one cylinder chopped off.
I never owned the I5 but the 4.3 V6 was not well balanced, despite GM's best efforts.

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #18  
....But anyways, you guys will be getting the European Transit, Old ones were ratlly, rusty, poor handling ag tractors that were no comparison to Merc or VW, but now they are catching up.

Thats a matter of opinion . we preferred the transits.

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #19  
It seems to me the Trailblazer was as thirsty as a Tahoe and cost as much.

Chris

/ 2014 Ford Transit to have 3.2 liter Diesel Powerstroke and Ecoboost #20  
My Ex GF had a 2004 Trailblazer with the in-line 6. The engine was about the only think good with the SUV. The power steering went out at 50k. The rear diff went after 60k. At 65k when she got a flat she found that the spare tire safety catch had rusted so the spare couldn't be lowered down. It's always nice to have a tow truck come out to haul your vehicle back to the shop for a flat. Then at 70k the tranny went. After that she sent it packing. The woman drives like an old lady. That was the vehicle that turned me off from GM.