2014 GC1715 - Fuel Troubleshooting Question

/ 2014 GC1715 - Fuel Troubleshooting Question #1  

Steller13

Tractor
2014 Massey Ferguson GC1715
I got my old 'n busted 2014 running for a while, actually ran really well, but then it started having idle issues, and now it won't start. Prior to quitting it wouldn't increase engine speed above idle without revving up for a second, dropping back to idle, and then it would eventually stall out. Fuel filter is new and I bled it as per manual. I pulled apart the connection into an injector, and it had fuel, at least at the time I pulled it.

My question: Is there an easy way to troubleshoot the fuel pump versus the injector pump? If the injector pump is bad, is it one where timing is a huge concern and extra precautions should be taken?

/ 2014 GC1715 - Fuel Troubleshooting Question #2  
The injection pump should be low on your list, and I wouldn't even touch it unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

Confirm that the fuel isn't contaminated with water and / or microbial matter. These are usually seen in the sediment bowl filter, assuming you have one. The water will sink to the bottom of the bowl, and microbial contamination will likely appear as either a slimy mess or dark specks. Either of these possibilities could cause your symptoms.

Next would be to confirm good fuel flow starting from the tank out. Disconnect lines one at a time and check the flow. If there is an electric lift pump, make sure it's operating when the key is in the run position. The last place to confirm fuel flow would be to crack the injectors or use bleeders if equipped.

/ 2014 GC1715 - Fuel Troubleshooting Question #3  
does sound like fuel issue.
as stated either gelled/contaminated, could even have a line collapsing between pump and tank. could even be the vented fuel cap (tiny hole inside center of cap) is plugged, remove cap see if it runs.
with all the dirt/corrosion on that tractor (from your first post here) I would look at the electric fuel pump before injector pump and I would rule out the crap fuel/etc first.
should be able to see/feel it with lower cowl plastic removed from below steering wheel.
turn key to on, if you don't hear pump whirring then thats an issue. also when you turn key off you should feel fuel shutoff solenoid on inj pump click. if it is not (you can do both these tests w/o removing anything) then its not working.

/ 2014 GC1715 - Fuel Troubleshooting Question
Was the fuel pump. Sometimes I get too frustrated and forget how to systematically troubleshoot. After seeing the responses to my post, I realized that I was no longer hearing the pump energize when I turned the key, but it was energizing previously when it ran. Swapped the pump out for a new one, bled it, and away it went.
Thank you for the help and the patience answering this noob.

Now it's on to the brakes...

/ 2014 GC1715 - Fuel Troubleshooting Question #5  
Was the fuel pump. Sometimes I get too frustrated and forget how to systematically troubleshoot. After seeing the responses to my post, I realized that I was no longer hearing the pump energize when I turned the key, but it was energizing previously when it ran. Swapped the pump out for a new one, bled it, and away it went.
Thank you for the help and the patience answering this noob.

Now it's on to the brakes...
sweet :)