2014 Silverado

/ 2014 Silverado #21  
Rollingfarms, I bet your Dad won't be as picky as you are, and the very latest may not be the easiest for him to handle.
Trucks are getting almost as complicated as cars. My wife's new Cadillac XTS is incomprehensible, and GM is pushing that system on everything now, though at least the truck version has some knobs.
For an older driver, I'd focus on driveability first, not whether the truck has ten more hp. I'm getting older, why is that?..., and the idea of having to reach all the way to some push pad screen to make the simplest change is maddening.

All of the big names are making such good trucks now that I think we are splitting hairs for many drivers. Most guys with a half ton are not going to pull five tons. They are more likely to be headed to Home Depot for some rolls of insulation. And if you have a boat or trailer to pull,
today's half tons can pull an amazing amount of weight. Personally I wouldn't pull anything more than about four tons with a standard truck, regardless of the rating. When the trailer weighs more than the truck, it's time to really pay attention to what you are doing.

I don't like the front end of the new Chevy, seems overly busy, as Toyota just made the new Tundra.
Thank goodness one can get a painted grill on some models. These trucks are in a race to see who can look more like
a circus wagon. Does every small pickup need to look like Super Duper Duty?

I'm still waiting for GMs new compact truck. I hope it's as good as the last one was bad; they really could hit a home run here especially
with a compact diesel in it.

/ 2014 Silverado #22  
It looks like GM pulled its head out of its butt and made the center stack knobs big enough to operate with gloves on. The past few years that I've looked at GM pickups at the car show the knobs have been tiny with a slick feel to them that make them difficult to use barehanded, never mind doing so with any type of gloves other than what surgeons use.

Oey Vey.............I suppose the dipstick handle was the wrong shade of yellow also............

/ 2014 Silverado #23  
Repeat failures are usually due to a crappy repair job! Misdiagnosis, failure to eliminate cause of initial problem....

I agree completely... they failed to eliminate the crappy OEM transmission! However, there are new models of transmissions now available in the latest Dodge trucks - Aisin and Hon (?). I'll be happy to wait and see how they hold up to the Cummins diesel.

Anyone know of the "pedigree" of these new transmissions? I know that Allison has a long history of developing HD transmissions for commercial trucking, mining, construction purposes. These new tranny's found in 100 ton rock trucks?

AKfish

/ 2014 Silverado #24  
I'm not too excited about the new front differential that is "sealed for life" and not serviceable.
All the newer GM trucks I see in an actual working environment look like a wadded up ball of tin foil. Our local conservation officer got a new Sierra 1500 and the thing basically fell apart around him.

/ 2014 Silverado #25  
I'm not too excited about the new front differential that is "sealed for life" and not serviceable.
All the newer GM trucks I see in an actual working environment look like a wadded up ball of tin foil. Our local conservation officer got a new Sierra 1500 and the thing basically fell apart around him.

That was one of the biggest reasons I got rid of my 2011 Z71. I knew the sheet metal on trucks had gotten thinner(all makes not just GM) but it was noticeably more on my 2011 then any other truck I looked at from Ford or Dodge or Toyota. I know they are having to cut corners to meet fuel regs and keep cost down but at least hide it from me as best you can that the truck I'm buying is made cheaper. The sticker price on my 2011 was $48,000 and honestly my 2012 Tacoma that cost $32,000 is built better. MUCH better. When you shut the doors on it your ears stop up because the truck is so tight. It makes a solid sound like what you hear on a BMW. All 3 Japanese trucks I've owned did this, even the ones that were built back in 1995. It's like comparing apples to a pile of dog poo. My 2004 Z71 was more solid then the 2011. I just couldn't see this truck holding up for the next 7-10 years like all my previous trucks had. The 2011 made me miss my 2004.

/ 2014 Silverado #28  
i am still waiting to see the numbers on the 6.2l D.I. V8. The rest of the truck is nothing spectacular. I would say on par with my 2012 ram. I still can’t get past the panel to the left of the steering wheel. It looks like they threw darts at it to determine button and knob locations.

As far as ram transmissions go the new aisin has been used in the ram 45-5500 trucks since they came out in 07ish. The LTL Hot shot guys are very fond of that Trans and have let go of their stick shifts.