2015-2017 PT-425 Battery

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery #1  

jfischer

Silver Member
Tractor
Hustler X-One, Power Trac 425, Sold and Retired my JD318
I am looking for a battery for my 425 before the cold gets here, and I had to jump it yesterday, as it doesn't get run much lately.

Noticed that it is only 9" wide, as there are two bolts it fits between under the gas tank in the front, and has the hold downs on the sides, on both bottom sides. Also, it can only be 5.5" wide to fit between the gas tank and the muffler shield, height I don't think would be a problem.

I don't see any series number on the battery, anyone have any ideas on this, or where I can find one.
Thanks, Jeff

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery #2  
The placement of the terminals as well as the amp hour rating will come into play as well. Remove the battery and take it to a battery store - one that specializes in batteries. If they can't come up with the exact battery they should be able to find an adequate battery that will fit into the designated space.

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery #3  
I am looking for a battery for my 425 before the cold gets here, and I had to jump it yesterday, as it doesn't get run much lately.

Noticed that it is only 9" wide, as there are two bolts it fits between under the gas tank in the front, and has the hold downs on the sides, on both bottom sides. Also, it can only be 5.5" wide to fit between the gas tank and the muffler shield, height I don't think would be a problem.

I don't see any series number on the battery, anyone have any ideas on this, or where I can find one.
Thanks, Jeff
Batteries plus stores are very helpful in this scenario... Tell them you'd like as many cranking amps as you can get in that form factor. Their warranty is also fantastic.

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery #4  
I'll second Batteries Plus and add a tip of the hat for my local Interstate shop as well.

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery
I ended up finding that the stock battery is a 45 series battery. Put one from Napa in it, their number 7545. I got around 6 or so years on the stock battery, and have an external fan on it to help with cooling, and also 4 LED lights on the front that I use very seldom, but with the external and the hydraulic fan running, they are taking more then the charging system can run, and is coming off the battery.
Will see how this battery holds up, and for how long.

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery #6  
For future reference....I always just Google battery group size chart. And always try to go with the biggest that will physically fit regardless of what the oem battery was

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery #7  
I used to be a member of the
"Batteries Last Three Years Club",,,

heck, I had a lifetime membership,, then I bought the 4105,,

Cm9LexR.jpg

That battery is the OEM battery, with a date code of 2012,, I have owned it since 2016,,,

So, I let my "Club" membership expire,,
I did not think it was possible. :unsure:

When this tractor was delivered, the battery would not start the tractor,,
(the tractor had been parked at the dealer for over 6 months)
I put it on charge, using a 10 amp charger, for over a week.

The battery has worked ever since.

/ 2015-2017 PT-425 Battery #8  
I keep a battery maintainer charger on my PT 422. I connect it whenever I am not running it. For vehicles that sit a lot it is a good idea. Also if you are running more that the built in charging circuit will deliver then this will top it off.