2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #1  

joec82

Tractor
Kubota BX23
So, I am a newbie to tractors in general and to the forum. I know there are quite a few post on here regarding snow removal for Kubota Sub compacts. I am looking at the landpride/kubota quick tach plow options, they all seem to be designed for 25hp or more. So i specifically want to know.....Is a plow option NOT reccomended for my 23HP BX ?? I assume a snow blower is the best option, however, I was looking for more economical options. If the plow will not cut it, any other options such as a snow pusher with a rear blade ? The FEL and rear blade? Any siggestions or experiences would be helpful. Every dealer around here keeps pushing the snow blower, however, i assume this is purely to make more money vs. what will actually work. Paved Driveway, slight grade. 20181002_173400.jpg

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #2  
The HP isn’t an issue for plowing. It would be for blowing. You will typically break traction before running out of power.
A blade is a good option if you have a place to push the snow. If you don’t have a place to push snow then the blower typically has an advantage. I’d get the blade and enjoy. You will figure out how much snow you can push- it all depends on depth, moisture content and how long it’s been on the ground with freeze/thaw.
I know the Landpride and others try to separate the implements by HP. But in this case a blade that is 6-12” wider than the wheels is about right.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal
Thanks for the input . I have a landscaping buddy that uses a lot of equipment. He seems to believe just the bucket and a rear blade would suffice. Since I could use the rear blade for other applications, I'm Thinking of starting with this cheaper option and going from there if its not working

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #4  
Your buddy is right on. Get a nice enough read blade that you can spin it 180° and if you are wanting to clear back from an edge an offset option will be nice. Remember that you still want the blade to be wider than the wheelbase- even when angled.

Another general rule is - blade in the front- chains in the front, blade in the back, chains in the back. The rear chains cost more so consider that in your budget.

This is another budget option-

Edge Tamer - Move Snow With Your Tractor Loader Bucket – R2 Manufacturing

Watch the video. It seems impressive.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #5  
I used only a rear blade on my 500’ driveway for several years. Very versatile, and didn’t have to give up the fel bucket. If you’re not pressed for time, the bucket will do a fine job also.
I will say that you should check your bucket to see if the side plates extend below the bottom edge. Many (most?) kubota buckets are capable of really GOUGING pavement when the bucket is used dead level.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #6  
When moving snow it is nice to be able to maneuver around in tight quarters. Most snow implements will lengthen the tractor which makes this difficult. Most of my snow moving years (~50) has been using a rear blade and I'm pretty good at it. I like taking the loader off for the winter as it is just apt to get in the way. Depending how your driveway and buildings are laid out, it will change what works best and how it is done.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #7  
I plowed for years with an ATV and front plow;they will push a lot of snow @600#;a 2,000# 4WD diesel will push a lot of snow.If your normal snow-fall is less than 100"/yr.,a front blade and a rear blade combo should work well.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #8  
A plow will work fine on your BX.

I ran a front plow pushing snow for 8yrs with my BX2350 but got tires of it digging into the grass before it froze so I bought a new front snowblower a couple years ago but it sure costs a heck of a lot more than the plow does.

Not sure where you are located but if you don't get a lot of snow (I.E. only a few inches at a time), you would probably be better off w/ just the plow.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #9  
I have a driveway similar to yours, blacktop, with an 80' section on a 6 degree grade, about 150' total. All I use is my FEL, with a 2"x4"x48" HD urethane stripe bolted to the bottom lip of the bucket, to keep from tearing up the asphalt. It works great. I use 4x4, with my RFM on the back for ballast. WAY faster than my old walk-behind 24" snow blower!

/ 2017 Kubota BX23 - Snow removal #10  
These guys make a snow pusher specifically for the BX and have been selling it for about 7 years now. I don't have current pricing but you can call them and check if your local dealers have any in stock.

Cotech

Flickr