2020 diesel sounds funny

/ 2020 diesel sounds funny
We'll see what the injectors do, like I said before, the temps of the exhaust manifold was quite different for different cylinders. For something over $125 it's not a hard thing to check and the work is easy enough. I doubt I'm going to be digging into the engine, this tractor has enough other issues not to go that far, but if I can keep it going for some reasonable price it's better than getting another.

Not yet I haven't changed the filter, but I doubt that would make the injectors change manifold temperature as much as they do, but who knows. That was the thing I was going to do right after I got the injectors installed before I tried starting it up.

It was all going well this afternoon after I cleaned up all the parts, I had all the injectors in, I left off the T connectors so it was easier to put them on, they went in pretty easy after I found that I had to drive them in with a short piece of plastic pipe, I couldn't just push them in, but once I got them past the white plastic seal they went right in and tightened up nicely. It was a small pain to adjust the injector pump lines to line up with the new injectors but I got them all on without cross threading anything. Then I was putting on the nuts for the T's and then the seal, and as I tightened the nut on the T one of them stripped out. I was only hand tightening the thing and it stripped, I was holding the nut with a wrench, but turning the T by hand. So I need to get a new one of those, that'll take a few days. I'll change the filter in the meantime unless I can repair the T somehow.

There's no instructions on how to tighten those T fittings with the seal and nut. I'm assuming the assembly wants to be up as high as practical so as not to block off the top hole. But the torque? Just enough to seal the line? There must be next to no pressure in there if it's just push on rubber hose. I've never seen any leaks there.

Yesterday, Sunday, I got finished. Got everything back together and started it up after bleeding to the injectors and changing the fuel filter. I had a leak in one of the return lines, the new 'T' fitting I got had smaller push on ports so it was leaking like crazy. I put 2 tie wraps on each side and that stopped it. Now it starts easier, runs in the barn without smoking up the whole place, installed new thermo so now by the end of my half mile drive the engine is up to 170. Sure runs smoother, almost seems like it's another gear down, but the tractor is geared so low, it's hard to tell, but it came up the hill to the house which is a 20° grade and pulled fine in 6th gear on the way up. Hopefully I'm ready for winter now.

I sort of wonder if I just couldn't have cleaned off the old injectors with 'Oven Off' and done the same thing. But it cost me about $150 total and maybe 5-6 hours labor, so it's not that bad. Sure better than having it hauled down to the JD dealer. If all one did was take the injectors out and clean them, it could probably be done in a coupe hours once you know what you're doing.

I think I'll start changing the fuel filter every spring now though, there must be some sediment in the fuel tank, in the spring I'll clean it out.

/ 2020 diesel sounds funny #26  
Dog T
Congratulations. Oven cleaner wouldn't clean internal part of injector plus reset internal valve to open at correct psi.

From what I've read about injectors, unless you have the right equipment and then even just a bit of moisture off your fingers will upset the internals of the injectors. I thought it best not to even try to take them apart. Do the internals get gunked up? I'd think the majority of the problem would be from carbon build up on the end. Book says to clean them with a fine brass brush.

/ 2020 diesel sounds funny #28  
The valves inside injector can get worn therefore not seating properly & as you stated the tip holes can clog. Spray pattern can also change due to wear. I agree without access to a "pop tester" I wouldn't recommend injector disassembly.

Then buying new injectors was probably the best option for me. Price was right.

We just had 3-4" of snow today, real wet snow, but are supposed to get another 2" tonight, but it's warming up so I'll be surprised if it's not more wet snow/sleet/rain/freezing rain. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the 2020 out and run it up and down the hill to test things out and get the gravel showing so it can melt. It's already melting off the roof tonight just after dark.

/ 2020 diesel sounds funny #30  
Good to hear that you've got it running again. I run AMSOIL Diesel clean/cetane in my tractor and I believe that it's the strongest diesel cleaner/lubricant out there. Keeps the injectors clean, pump lubed and will clean up any built up carbon in the engine. With the Cetane improver there is less knock on cold startup too. Shipped right to your door, simple. Dutchy
Diesel Injector Clean + Cetane Boost ADS - AMSOIL