2020 Load Control

/ 2020 Load Control #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
I was reading another thread on using the load control for grading the driveway (gravel). I've never used my load control as I really don't know how to. Can someone tell me if that's something I can use effectively. My drive is about a half mile long, maybe 8-10' wide and I'm using a JD 45 blade. Usually what I do is set it angled to the next to last hole with a pretty steep tilt by using the hand adjuster on the RS, drag the ditches up to the center from both ditches, Then set the blade level and slow drag it down the center to spread the resulting 'windrow'. If I'm really motivated then I'll back drag it with the blade set at a shallow angle and not so steep to get a crown on the road. There's plenty of hills, so what usually happens when I do the final spreading is when I go down a hill, the blade lifts and I have to play with keeping it at the right position. Opposite happens when I go up a hill, it digs in more. The 20ー hill to the house is a bugger getting the grading done there it's so steep. I just have to work at that one.

/ 2020 Load Control #2  
Remembering what I was instructed at JD sales meetings for dealer employees when 2020 were brand new that the only real need for utilizing L or L/D is when performing ground engaging task such as plowing. When utilizing a rear blade lever should be set in "D".

/ 2020 Load Control
I think that's what I've kind of read in the operators manual too. Seems I did try using the L or L/D and it didn't do anything for grading. That's why I asked. Maybe newer tractors have a different system, but I think there were some guys talking about using the Load Control while grading. Thanks.

/ 2020 Load Control #4  
Maybe I'm confused with what you are trying to do, but there is no down pressure on the 3 ph. So just gravity is pushing down on the blade and adjustment of top link (lengthen or shorten) will have some effect on how the blade cuts. Otherwise, height of the 3 ph is the only control, which doesn't do well leveling is desired, when there are dips and humps the tractor goes over.

For good level grading, adjustable height control wheels behind the blade are a good idea.

/ 2020 Load Control
I know there's no down pressure on the 3ph. But supposedly the load control will raise the 3ph with increased load, but maybe with the 2020 it needs more load, like a plow. The grader blade may not give enough load to make it work properly even though there are different settings of load/draft control. I was hoping maybe if there got a huge amount of gravel in front of the blade it would raise it to allow the tractor to work easier, but apparently not. Seems I've tried it and nothing happens. I've gotten pretty good at just letting it settle on it's own weight anyhow. I have to get a pretty even amount of center gravel/dirt down the drive to give me a smooth even pull. Maybe I'm confused? At any rate, I get the job done.

We just had our 5th gully washer last hour, I'm sure all the gravel is now at the bottom of the hill again. I have to pull it up out of the run off ditch into the road and scoop it up with the front end loader and take it back up the hill to fill the ditches. This weather is getting out of control. If this keeps up, I may have to pour concrete in the ditches to keep them there, it's getting insane. We're well over 200% extra rain this summer. I hope it doesn't snow like it rained this summer or we're in for a world of hurt.

/ 2020 Load Control #6  
For L/D mechanism to operate automatically there needs to be enough load on 3 pt hitch to flex(bend) the L/D shaft that 3 pt draft arms attach to. It's possible that L/D mechanism needs to be adjusted as outlined in a JD tech manual. There are several steps to be followed but I don't remember exactly how many steps. IMHO automatic(load control) operation while grading will add to the washboard affect that gravel roads can get.