2022 Z-Force SX 54 Electrical issues Dead Battery Resistance between red & ground cables

/ 2022 Z-Force SX 54 Electrical issues Dead Battery Resistance between red & ground cables #1  

clamb

Tractor
MT250D
I recently purchased a Cub Cadet Zero turn mower from the dealer last spring.

It was a new mower previous years stock carry over. I only put on about 10 or 15 engine hours on it last year.
It has the24 H.P. Kawasaki FR 730V Engine.

When I was at the dealer it wouldn't start & the battery had gone dead over the past winter with temps down to - 40. I asked for them to replace with a new battery, & not sure if they did or not.

Anyhow it was parked in heated storage for the winter 14-15 Celcius, or about 60F. I decided to check the battery voltage & it was down to 8.6 volts, which I thought would indicate a bad cell in the battery.
I recharged the battery with a NOCO Genius trickle charger, & seems to be fully charged with no fault warnings. I will maybe take it in & get a load test done somewhere.

I have the battery disconnected, & thought I would run an ohm meter between the leads to see if it could detect continuity.

It was reading 24.7 K ohm.

Does this mean it has a dead short, or is that an acceptable Resistance/ Continuity?

Maybe it draws a small amount to keep the hour meter hours in memory?

Last edited:
   / 2022 Z-Force SX 54 Electrical issues Dead Battery Resistance between red & ground cables #2  
To test for a draw, remove the negative battery cable and set your meter to DCV and put the two ends between the battery and the ground. A fraction of a volt isn't abnormal in this basic test. If you have more, reassemble then run the machine and repeat.

/ 2022 Z-Force SX 54 Electrical issues Dead Battery Resistance between red & ground cables #3  
A dead short would read zero ohms or very close to it. with your 24.7 K ohm reading the steady current draw on your battery would be half of a milliamp or one half of one thousandth of an amp. If the key is off your hour meter should not be running but it may take a slight draw to retain the existing reading, I've no idea how it's configured. If you're really worried you could disconnect the hour meter and see if the resistance goes away but at that rate of current draw it would take weeks to drain the battery. I remove my lawn mower battery in the fall and keep it in heated storage all winter. I don't use a battery tender but I do put it on a charger for the first start in the spring.

/ 2022 Z-Force SX 54 Electrical issues Dead Battery Resistance between red & ground cables #4  
Your best bet to keep your batteries in good condition is to use a battery maintainer. As noted above, there may always be some small discharge to keep the electronics of your machine alive.

The battery maintainer will keep your battery fully charged but not overcharged. A trickle charger will runion your battery if it is constantly connected.

Most battery maintainers will keep several batteries charged. I do this with my classic car battery along with the battery from my lawn tractor.

Richard

/ 2022 Z-Force SX 54 Electrical issues Dead Battery Resistance between red & ground cables #5  
The NOCO was probably the best thing you could have done and it probably brought the battery back to life. The NOCO's can desulfinate the plates after leaving to discharge on it's own. I've had very good luck with the battery being good after doing this exact thing with the NOCO chargers I have.

/ 2022 Z-Force SX 54 Electrical issues Dead Battery Resistance between red & ground cables
I took a few batteries in to have them load tested all tested good. I will put the trickle charger on, & install it.